Incentives to give

Tails were wagging Saturday as about 20 veterinary students donated their time to wash dogs for a worthy cause.

The Omega Tau Sigma Professional Veterinary Fraternity partnered with LifeSouth Community Blood Center from 11 a.m. to 2 p.m. Saturday to offer one free dog wash for anyone who donated blood.

Ashley Hamm, a second year veterinary student, helped organize the event.

"We have been trying to come up with a good community service event for the past couple months," Hamm said. "We decided a blood drive with a free dog wash would be a good way to get people to come out and give blood."

The event initially attracted a steady crowd, but died down after lunchtime.

"Everyone hates washing their dogs, so we thought we could do that for them," said Jean Wolfersteig, a first year veterinary student. "Earlier, we were fighting for the hose. We had a rush of about five dogs at once."

Customer John Shaw donated blood while his chocolate lab, Sonny, received a bath from future veterinarians who volunteered at the event.

"My dog was dirty, and I try to give blood whenever I can," Shaw said. "My girlfriend goes to vet school. She's in her third year and is a member of OTS, so I try to come out and support anything they're doing."

Alyson Adams, a second year veterinary student, explained how OTS members thought of the idea to combine a free dog wash with a weekend blood drive.

"They always have blood drives at the school, so we were just trying to think of a way to get people to actually want to come, kind of an incentive for donating," Adams said. "We're vet students, so we love animals. We kind of just combined the two."

Chantra Swinson, the LifeSouth mobile team captain at the event, said there are requirements for those wanting to donate blood to the community.

"You've got to at least weigh 110 pounds," Swinson said. "Then, you've got to answer a questionnaire that determines whether you can donate or not. There are different reasons why you can be deferred; there's medicines, or if you went out of the country recently. You also must present a photo I.D."

There was a $15 dog wash charge for anyone not willing to donate blood to LifeSouth.

"We aren't doing it so much as a fundraiser, it's just if we made money it would be a bonus," Hamm said.

"We just wanted people to give blood and we wanted an incentive, so that's why we did the free dog wash."

Swinson said LifeSouth appreciated the effort made by OTS members to encourage the community and Auburn students alike to donate blood to the organization.

"I think it's fun," Swinson said. "They're doing something for the community and helping to save lives by giving blood. It's a good thing."

The event was held at the OTS house, located on Wire Road across the street from the veterinary school.

OTS members said they hope to hold the event again this fall and hope to obtain just as much success as Saturday's event.

Share and discuss “Incentives to give” on social media.