Residents Run, Walk for Cancer Center

Samuel Hodges / PHOTO STAFF
Samuel Hodges / PHOTO STAFF

On your mark.

Get set.

Race toward cancer awareness.

The 10th Auburn Classic Half Marathon was held Saturday, Jan. 16.

It was for a good cause in an effort to raise money for the Cancer Center of East Alabama Medical Center.

The 13.1 mile race began at 7:30 a.m. and stretched across Auburn.

It started in the Ogletree Shopping Center near Moore's Mill Fitness.

Runners made their way around the parking lot, down Ogletree Road, left down Wright's Mill Road and then onto Shell Toomer Parkway.

Once the runners reached the halfway point near Chewacla State Park.

They then made their way back to the finish line.

The race was walker-friendly.

Those who chose to walk were encouraged to start early so they would finish with the majority of the participants.

Aid stations quenched participants thirst with water and Gatorade and were set up every two miles.

The stations also helped runners stay hydrated throughout the duration of the course.

Race director Tracey Buckingham said the first runners usually end in a little over an hour.

The bulk of runners end in about two hours.

"It's really rewarding to finish and to reach the goal that you set," said Kyle Cannon, freshman in chemical engineering.

"The feeling you get after finishing is worth it all."

With more than 200 participants trying to beat the clock, Cannon clocked in at almost two hours with the time of 1:44:40.

Cannon, who finished first in the 19 and under age group, said this was his first time doing a half marathon.

Cannon said he had been training for the past two months.

He also said he did better than he thought he would.

Before the race began he said his goal was an eight-minute mile.

He hoped to finish in an hour and forty-five minutes.

He achieved his goal by 20 seconds.

Cannon finished 22:10 after the first place participant.

The overall winner, Jason Reneau, 33, clocked in at 1:22:30.

Reneau said his favorite part about the race was the people cheering for him and the other runners.

Reneau said he felt bad for his encouragers because he wanted to thank them, but said he didn't have enough breath to do so.

Reneau received an acrylic platter trophy and $100 prize for his victory.

All participants of the half marathon received a medal and an Under Armour long-sleeve running shirt at the finish line.

For the first time, along with the half marathon, the East Alabama Medical Center contributed and sponsored a Children's Half Marathon at 10 a.m.

It's purpose was to include the children of adults participating in the original marathon.

In order to participate, all 150 children had to bring proof that they walked or ran 12.5 miles before the race.

During the fall semester, the children were encouraged to walk or run about one mile per week during their physical education program.

"One of the elementary schools has made it their passion," said race director Tracey Buckingham. "And we have almost a hundred children coming from Wright's Mill Elementary School."

The children ran the remainder of the marathon requirement around the Ogletree Shopping Center parking lot to complete their half marathon.

Buckingham said she likes the race because it goes to a great cause and raises awareness of cancer to children and gets them in shape and active at a young age.

All the children who participated received a medal and a T-shirt at the finish line.

Concluding the day's events was an after party sponsored by Adams Beverages in the Moore's Mill Fitness Center.

Snacks and beverages were provided to all participants.

The race was sponsored by the Auburn-Opelika Running and Track Association.

Share and discuss “Residents Run, Walk for Cancer Center” on social media.