Auburn baseball rallies against champions LSU, loses game 1

The Auburn Tigers scored seven runs over the last two innings, but it wasn't enough as Auburn fell to the No. 3 LSU Tigers, 14-10, on Friday night.

A season-best crowd of 3,751 attended the showdown between the SEC West rivals at Plainsman Park.

LSU (26-4, 8-2 SEC) jumped on Auburn starting pitcher Cole Nelson early, as the defending national champions scored six runs and sent eight batters to the plate in the first inning before an out was recorded.

Nelson, who entered the game with a staff-best 3.29 ERA, was taken out after throwing just 35 pitches and giving up six runs on seven hits while walking one.

"It was obvious that it was not going to be one of (Nelson's) nights," coach John Pawlowski said.

Freshman right hander Slade Smith stepped up to the rubber in relief and retired three of the next four batters, limiting LSU's damage to six in the opening frame.

"We came out and before we know what had happened, we're down six to nothing," Pawlowski said. "They jumped us very early in the game and put us on our heels."

The six runs given up by Auburn (20-11, 5-5) in the first inning are tied for the most runs given up in one inning this season. Auburn also gave up six runs to Arizona State in the fifth inning of a game on March 12.

Auburn responded in the bottom of the inning, as leadoff hitter Justin Hargett doubled off the green monster in left field.

After junior designated hitter Treny Mummey drew a walk, junior outfielder Brian Fletcher laced a double just over the outstretched glove of LSU first baseman Blake Dean.

Hargett scored and Mummey was waved home, but the relay throw from LSU second baseman Tyler Hanover beat Mummey to the plate to get the first out of the inning.

LSU gave the run back instantly, however, as catcher Micah Gibbs's throw to third base in an attempt to out Fletcher sailed wide of third baseman Wet Delatte and into left field, allowing Fletcher to trot home.

LSU tacked on eight more runs over the next seven innings to widen the lead to 14-3 heading into the bottom of the eighth. The visitors from Baton Rouge cranked out 17 total hits.

Auburn answered with five runs in the bottom of the frame, highlighted by Mummey's second career grand slam.

Pinch hitter Kevin Patterson worked a two-out walk and was followed up by a Casey McElroy single through the right side. Junior outfielder Justin Fradejas then lashed a single through the middle to score Patterson and load the bases for Mummey.

Mummey blasted a 2-0 fastball from LSU relief pitcher Daniel Bradshaw well beyond the right-center field wall to bring the Tigers within six runs.

"We were within one swing or one more baserunner to get the tying run to the plate," Pawlowski said. "I thought that was a pretty good accomplishment considering the deficit that we were in."

Mummey led the Auburn offense, driving in four runs and scoring once. Fletcher went 2-for-3 with one RBI and two walks.

Auburn relief pitcher Stephen Kohlscheen retired the LSU hitters in order in the top of the ninth to maintain the deficit and keep the Tigers within striking distance.

Pinch hitter Ryan Jenkins and Patterson delivered extra-base hits in the final frame and came around to score on wild pitches, but LSU reliever Chris Cotton induced a popout by Mummey with two runners aboard to end the game.

LSU starting pitcher Anthony Ranaudo picked up his first win of the season, giving up three runs on five hits while walking three and striking out three in five innings of work.

Auburn will try to refocus and pick up a win in the second game of the series today.

"We know we've got a battle on our hands," Pawlowski said. "We'll have another tough task ahead of us (Saturday) and Sunday so hopefully ours guys will regroup and be ready to go (Saturday)."

First pitch is set for 2 p.m.

Share and discuss “Auburn baseball rallies against champions LSU, loses game 1” on social media.