People Of The Plains: Randles Farm For Future

Randle Farms is famous for its blueberries.

But blueberries are only the beginning of the myriad produce and meat it offers residents of Lee County interested in shaking the hand of the farmers who grow their food.

Randle Farms is a Community Supported Agriculture farm, meaning people buy shares of the goods produced on their farm.

"The commonality is all these people are interested in knowing where their food comes from," said Frank Randle, owner of the farm said, "knowing the farmer that produced it."

Randle said having orders already placed for the food creates some security for their business.

"We know that the fruits, vegetables that we're producing already has a home," Randle said.

Because of the way the farm operates, the Randles develop close relationships with a lot of their customers.

"We know the kids," Randle said. "We know the dogs."

The Randle farm is run by Randle, his wife and their two sons.

"It's very comforting," Randle said of knowing he will leave his farm to his sons. "That's every father's dream that his children would want to come back and be involved with them."

He said enjoys the slower seasonal periods on the farm because he and his sons will hang around the office and talk for a couple hours after their morning chores.

Randle said he grew up in agriculture and knew that's where he wanted to work.

While he initially attended Auburn pursuing a more science-based career, he soon realized that wasn't for him.

"Ninety-nine percent of the days are wonderful days," Randle said. "You're outside and you're your own boss."

He said a life in agriculture means no two days are alike, but he enjoys that.

"One thing that appeals to me (is) diversity and that lack of sameness," Randle said. "This something that I've always wanted to do."

Share and discuss “People Of The Plains: Randles Farm For Future” on social media.