Softball Drops Tie Breaking Game

No. 16 Tennessee scored three runs in the fifth inning to break a 2-2 tie and defeat the Auburn softball team, 5-3, in the final game of a weekend series Sunday.

Tennessee improved to 33-8 for the season and 12-4 in the SEC with the win, which also clinched a series win for the Lady Vols. Auburn dropped to 22-17 and 6-11 in league play.

"I thought the girls played with a lot of heart," said coach Tina Deese. "They fought really, really hard to the end. The balls just didn't fall for us."

The Lady Vols took advantage of three Auburn errors in the frame to pull away from the Tigers.

Auburn pitcher Anna Thompson, who relieved starting pitcher Jenee Loree after two and two-thirds innings, walked Tennessee's Ashley Andrews to begin the inning. Thompson was pulled in favor of sophomore pitcher Lauren Schmalz after issuing the walk.

Schmalz was greeted by Tennessee freshman left fielder Raven Chavanne, who hit a grounder to junior third baseman Kyndall White.

Nobody was covering first base and White's throw sailed down the first-base line, putting runners at second and third with no outs.

After a popout to Auburn shortstop Lauren Guzman, freshman right fielder Kat Dotson hit a high chopper over a drawn-in White, bringing home Andrews and Chavanne and giving the Lady Vols the lead, 4-2.

Tennessee added another run in the inning after additional errors by Guzman. The Tigers committed four errors total.

"Tennessee forces those (errors), especially with their speed," Deese said.

Schmalz suffered her first loss of the season, giving up two unearned runs on three hits, pitching two innings total.

Tennessee starting pitcher Ivy Renfroe picked up the win, as the freshman gave up three runs on four hits and two walks while striking out seven in six and one-third innings to improve to 19-2 on the season.

The Tigers jumped out to the early lead, scoring two runs in the bottom of the second inning off Renfroe.

Singles by freshman second baseman Kelsey Cartwright and junior left fielder Katie Colton put runners at first and second with one out.

Sophomore center fielder Krista Clyde smashed a double in the right-center field gap to score Cartwright. A sacrifice fly by junior first baseman Kelley Smiley plated Colton to end the Tigers' scoring for the inning.

Tennessee answered with two runs of its own in the top of the fourth.

After Thompson retired the first two Tennessee batters, but freshman second baseman Lauren Gibson singled through the left side.

Senior designated player Nicole Kajitani then lifted a 2-2 pitch over the left-center field wall to the right of the scoreboard to tie the score at two.

"That was a great piece of hitting by Kajitani," Thompson said. "She hit a good pitch, and I just have to tip my hat at them."

Thompson pitched one and a third innings of relief, giving up three runs - one unearned - on two hits. Thompson walked one and struck out two.

Colton had two hits and scored a run to lead the Auburn offense.

Sophomore catcher Elizabeth Eisterhold, Smiley and Clyde each had an RBI.

Tennessee was led offensively by Dotson, who went 2-for-3 with two RBIs and a run scored. Kajitani had two RBIs and scored one run.

The two teams split a doubleheader on Saturday to set up Sunday's rubber game.

The Tigers won the first game in dramatic fashion, as Cartwright launched the first pitch she saw from Tennessee pitcher Cat Hosfield over the fence and off the scoreboard in left field in the bottom of the seventh inning to give Auburn a 2-1 walk-off win. The home run was Cartwright's first of her career.

Schmalz pitched three and a third innings and gave up no runs on two hits while striking out three to pick up her second win of the season.

The nightcap also proved to be a nailbiter, as Auburn held a 1-0 lead going into the top of the sixth inning before falling, 2-1. After a leadoff double by Tennessee's Kelly Grieve to start the sixth, Dotson scored what proved to be a game-winning two-run home run over the right.

Thompson was the losing pitcher for Auburn, as the senior gave up two runs on four hits while walking two and striking out 10 in five innings of work.

With half of the SEC schedule remaining, Eisterhold said the team has to have a short memory and keep improving during practice.

"We just gotta bring it at practice this week and prepare for next week and leave this weekend behind," Eisterhold said.

Auburn returns to action on Saturday, as the Tigers travel to Georgia for a three-game series. First pitch is set for noon.

Share and discuss “Softball Drops Tie Breaking Game” on social media.