Kiwanis Club flips flapjacks for children

Five bucks won't buy much these days, but at the Kiwanis Club pancake event, it will pay for more flapjacks than Paul Bunyan can eat.

The organization held its 25th annual Pancake Day Saturday at the Epworth Center of the Auburn United Methodist Church.

Crowds of up to 3,000 people were expected.

"Many folks even coming out of state--they come here knowing that it's Pancake Day," said Golden Jenkins, president of the Kiwanis Club of Auburn. "We have a lot of folks come through. It's a real neat tradition."

Part of that tradition is holding the event at the start of the college football season.

"We always do it at one of the home games," Jenkins said. "We like it to be an evening game, so it doesn't really blend into the game situation."

The breakfast consisted of unlimited pancakes, sausages and beverages for $5 per person.

Starbucks provided coffee and hand sanitizer.

Donations were also accepted.

Proceeds from the event go toward projects impacting the children of Lee County.

"All of this money goes back to the county to make a difference with children's lives," Jenkins said.

The Kiwanis Club provides support for several organizations around the county. Some of the organizations included the Boys & Girls Club of Lee County and Boy and Girl Scout troops.

Other fundraisers the club holds throughout the year include golf tournaments and a pecan and peanut sale.

Mayor Bill Ham, a longtime member of the Kiwanis Club, could be found in the kitchen for most of the morning, wearing an apron and assisting volunteers.

Mike Fellows, Kiwanis Club member and Republican candidate for Lee County Family Court Circuit Judge, served coffee during the event.

There were activities aimed at making the event fun for the whole family.

Kids could learn how to juggle or ride an unicycle.

Seth Granberry, a Kiwanis Club member who has been unicycling for 32 years, jumped rope while bouncing on his vehicle. A clown-and-face-painting station was also on site, providing entertainment.

"Kids that grew up, they'll come back," Jenkins said. "They've grown up and gone on, and they'll come back to the Pancake Day."

The highlight of the morning was a pancake-eating contest for anyone brave and hungry enough to try.

Eight attendees participated.

The contest was won by Eric Halverson, vice president of the club.

The grand prize: another stack of pancakes.

"It takes a lot of work, and a lot of our amazing members help organize this," Jenkins said. "It really requires a synergy from all of us. There were folks here at 4:30 in the morning."

Pancake Day started at 6:30 a.m. and ended at 11 a.m.

The Auburn United Methodist Church, located at 137 S. Gay St., provided the venue.

"They have been very, very generous throughout these years," Jenkins said.

The Auburn United Methodist Church can be found at www.aumc.net. Both organizations are on Facebook.

Weekly lunches for Kiwanis Club meet Mondays noon - 1 p.m., at the Auburn University Club at Yarbrough Farms, located off of Donahue Drive in Auburn.

Share and discuss “Kiwanis Club flips flapjacks for children” on social media.