Disney College Program offers fairy tale endings

For some college students, "happily ever after" is just an internship away.

The Disney College Program offers students paid internships to learn about the corporation through education and job experience.

"The Disney College Program offers a unique and valuable experience to gain leadership, teamwork and interpersonal skills," said Meaghan Weir, career adviser for Career Development Services.

The Disney College Program will hold information sessions Feb. 21 and 22 at 6 p.m. in room 019 of the Lowder Business Building. If students are unable to attend the information session, there will be an E-Presentation recap on the Disney website.

"At the information sessions a Disney recruiter along with the Disney College Program campus representatives will describe the program and basic expectations in regard to housing, employment and educational opportunities," Weir said. "They will also explain the process for applying to become a Disney College Program participant."

Students are encouraged to RSVP to the information sessions in Tiger Recruiting Link (www.jobs.auburn.edu).

"Students should consider our paid internship program for a variety of reasons, but one of the main reasons is Disney's reputation for excellence," said Wayne Hampton, Disney internship and program recruiter.

The program is a good resume booster, said Julia Walsh Howell, Disney College Program participant who is also a campus representative.

"Every job interview I have been to asks me about my experience at Disney, and it can be the foot-in-the-door that some students can use to begin a career at Disney," Howell said.

The Disney College Program is open to students regardless of major or year. The program is an internship where participants have the opportunity to work at the Disneyland Resort in Anaheim, Calif., or Walt Disney World Resort near Orlando.

"All of us campus reps did the program," Howell said. "I feel so strongly about its merits that we now recruit other students to participate."

Participants in the Disney College Program receive benefits including theme park admission, discounts on selected merchandise, discounts on admission to certain parks, resort discounts and opportunities to participate in certain holiday celebrations.

"And some students are able to earn credit for our internship or for classes that we offer--or both," Hampton said.

Through the program, participants earn up to nine credit hours.

Participants are required to complete college coursework, write papers, create projects and read textbooks. The coursework will be directly applied to the participants' jobs.

Participants can enroll in a variety of courses ranging from hospitality management to corporate communication.

Students can also work with different aspects of the Disney parks.

"Students can gain a number of transferable skills, which are highly valued by employers, communication skills and customer service skills ," Hampton said.

For more information on the Disney College Program visit www.disneycollegeprogram.com.

Share and discuss “Disney College Program offers fairy tale endings” on social media.