People of the Plains

Alvin Willis has been working for the city of Auburn for 20 years. He leads the Toomer's Corner cleanup team and keeps the streets downtown clean daily. (Emily Adams / photo editor)

Alvin Willis, employee of the environmental services department, takes pride in keeping the Loveliest Village on the Plains looking its best.

Willis works from 5 a.m. to 1:30 p.m. seven days a week and on holidays to maintain the downtown area. He was recognized by the City Council last May for 20 years of service.

Willis said he loves making sure Auburn looks nice for students, residents and visitors.

"I really enjoy doing what I do," Willis said.

With the celebrations that usually follow home football games, Willis has his work cut out for him.

The morning after a game, Willis said he reports to the environmental services office at 4:30 a.m. to see what his job will entail that day and figure out where to send crews to clean up.

The cleanup typically requires about eight crew members and two sweepers. Willis and his crew begins their cleanup on Magnolia Avenue before moving on to College and Gay streets.

During the football off-season, Willis' major work days start Thursday, cleaning up after the bar crowd, and end Sunday afternoons.

Willis said cleaning up cigarette butts is a never-ending task.

"Alvin is very dedicated and takes his own initiative to get the job done," said Tim Woody, director of environmental services.

Catrina Cook, assistant director of environmental services, has worked with Willis for 13 years and said she admires his positive attitude.

Cook said she was impressed one Sunday morning to see Willis and another employee working with an unusual tool to get toilet paper off of the trees.

Cook learned the two had assembled the tool themselves using PVC pipe.

Willis said although he has to clean up the toilet paper after games, he enjoyed the national championship celebration. After watching the national championship on TV, Willis joined the rest of the Auburn family in rolling Toomer's Corner and downtown.

"I was very excited," Willis said. "It was something I've always waited for."

An avid Auburn football fan, Willis gets season tickets every year.

He said seeing the excitement of Auburn fans after the championship game is his favorite memory at Auburn.

Because of freezing temperatures, cleaning up after the Jan. 10 victory was a weeklong process. However, Willis said he was glad the trees were able to stay rolled longer than usual because the fans who went to Glendale were able to see Auburn still decorated as they returned to the Plains.

When he's not working to keep Auburn clean, Willis said he enjoys fishing and providing yard services for Auburn residents.

Willis also serves as a deacon for Mount Zion Missionary Church of Loachapoka.

In the future, he said he plans to retire and continue his yard service business.

Willis said he thinks Auburn is a wonderful place to live and raise a family. He lives in Auburn with his wife and 14-year-old son.

Willis was recently featured in an "Inside Auburn" video that is found on CityofAuburnAL's YouTube page.

Share and discuss “People of the Plains” on social media.