Sidewalk project gets green light

Traveling around Auburn by foot or bicycle will soon be easier with the work of the South College Street Sidewalk Project and the Safe Routes to School Sidewalk/Crosswalk Project.

The City Council recently allocated more than $260,000 to Walker Patton Company, Inc. for the construction of new sidewalks.

The largest stretch of sidewalk to be built will begin at Blooming Colors on the corner of South College Street and Donahue Drive and run all the way to Shug Jordan Parkway.

"It fills a missing link," said Jeffrey Ramsey, director of public works. "Auburn will now have sidewalks all linked between the interstate and Drake Avenue."

Ramsey believes the new sidewalks will be beneficial to students and residents in the area.

"Obviously, there are a lot of students along South College Street with all the residential living nearby," Ramsey said. "Putting in these sidewalks will give them a safe place to walk to help connect them with all the businesses there."

Joe Harrell, owner of Big Blue Bookstore on South College Street said he is glad for the added security for students traveling along the side of the road.

"Traffic is high, and it's pretty hectic most of the time," Harrell said. "We have lots of customers coming from both sides, so it is a great plus for them."

From a business perspective, however, Harrell doesn't think much will change.

"Anything the city can do to help with safety, we are fortunate for, and I think it will be an enhancement," Harrell said.

The construction is set to begin in three to four weeks after final details of the project are worked out.

"It is probably going to take 90 days," Ramsey said. "We're hoping to be finished by mid-summer."

Drivers who frequent the South College Street area should not be worried with problems caused by construction.

"Traffic is always an issue, and I encourage students to avoid the section if possible," Ramsey said.

"But we know there is still going to be traffic, and we just want to keep our workers safe."

Sidewalks and crosswalks will also be added in four other locations around Auburn for the Safe Routes to School Sidewalk/Crosswalk Project.

"Some of the schools that will be more accessible by sidewalk are Drake Middle School, Cary Woods Elementary, Dean Road Elementary and Wrights Mill Road Elementary School," said Charles Duggan, city manager.

The funds came from a transportation grant given by the Alabama department of transportation.

"The project is geared toward helping kids get to school if they are biking or walking," Duggan said.

Auburn locals have appreciated sidewalk projects in the past.

"Sidewalk projects ranked high in interest and satisfaction in our citizen surveys," Duggan said.

While the need of more crosswalks and sidewalks was recently brought to attention with the death of Dean Marie Wooten, her accident did not spark the project.

"Although that was an unfortunate accident, our plans were well underway before then," Ramsey said. "We could see the need for sidewalks by the paths in the grass beside the street."

Duggan said he wants to keep the quality if life in Auburn as high as possible.

"We are always on the lookout for places in town that need sidewalks, looking at maps, listening to citizens and councilmen," Duggan said.

"And we will continue doing it as long as there is a need."

Share and discuss “Sidewalk project gets green light” on social media.