Bakery impresses 'Ace of Cakes'

Abbie Gunn, sophomore in pre-med, and Molly Lowery, sophomore in human resource management, meet Duff Goldman after his appearance Tuesday night. (Emily Adams / photo editor)

This week there were two "cake aces" in town.

The staff of Gourmet Tiger, a local bakery, won the cake competition put on because of 'Ace of Cakes' star Duff Goldman's visit March 8.

Goldman spoke to a full house of students in the AUSC ballroom. He told stories about his life pre- and post-stardom and said he didn't set out to be a cake decorator.

Goldman said his first interest was music, and he started making cakes just to pay the rent.

"I wanted to be in a band," Goldman said. "I wanted to be in a rock band, OK? All I wanted to do was play music for a living. So I started a bakery in my apartment and quit my job, because I just wanted to play music."

Christy Cochran, baker and decorator at Gourmet Tiger, said she and her fellow bakers can relate.

"The owner now is actually a licensed veterinarian," Cochran said. "I don't think any of us went to culinary school. It was a hobby that turned into a job."

Cochran said Gourmet Tiger entered the competition because many employees enjoy Goldman's show.

"It's a great way to get word out there that we are a bakery in the area that does specialty cakes and other desserts," Cochran said.

The five-tier Auburn-themed cake, topped with a replica of a Toomer's oak tree, took about a week and a half to make, Cochran said.

She said one of their most experienced decorators handmade the tree.

The rest of the staff helped make the cakes, fillings and frosting.

Students who attended Goldman's appearence got to taste Gourmet Tiger's cake afterward.

Cochran said while Gourmet Tiger makes wedding and specialty tier cakes, they don't make cakes as outlandish as Goldman's.

"There have been some people with kind of weird themes for cakes, but nothing that compares to 'Ace of Cakes,'" Cochran said.

But Goldman didn't always intend to be so eccentric.

"I didn't set out to change the world of cake decorating," Goldman said. "If somebody was like, 'Hey, can you make me a cake with a little motor in it that spins around?' I'll say, 'Yeah, I can,' because I need to sell a cake to pay my rent, so I'll figure out how to do that."

Cochran said she enjoys watching Goldman craft his cakes.

"I watch the show because I love seeing the different ways they make their cakes," Cochran said. "It's out of the ordinary, and I like that part of it, and I like the overall humor of the show."

Part of Goldman's humor that can be seen on his show and on stage is his ability to laugh at himself.

"I promise, I'm really cool. I'm a really cool guy, OK?" Goldman said. "I'm in a band, right? I have a TV show, I ride a motorcycle, I was a graffiti artist. I'm a cool dude!"

Gillian Popenuck, customer service and food prep at Gourmet Tiger, said the cake preparation was a great opportunity for them to bond as a staff.

"For all of us as a team it was kind of exciting," Popenuck said. "A lot of times we work independently, so it was really fun to participate in the event together."

Share and discuss “Bakery impresses 'Ace of Cakes'” on social media.