Honoree is 'Major' family man

Dyal was recently selected as the recipient of the Colonel Leo A. Codd Memorial Award.

This award is given to the top three ROTC instructors in the country.

The National Defense Industrial Association presents the award, and three winners are selected from each branch of the military.

"It is very humbling to receive this, but all the credit is due to the hard work of the people under me," Dyal said. "Many outstanding Marines were up for this award, and it is an honor and a privilege to even know that my work holds a stick to those people."

There are 63 Naval ROTC units in the country, each with five instructors.

For each branch of the military there is a gold, silver and bronze award. Dyal received the gold award for the naval branch.

Auburn's last Colonel Leo A. Codd Memorial Award winner was in 2007 when Lt. Joseph Baker won the silver award.

Dyal has been a strong asset to Auburn's Navy ROTC program and works tirelessly to get things done, said Cmdr. Shannon Coulter.

Coulter said he has worked with Dyal for a year and a half and has witnessed how passionate Dyal is about his job.

"The bottom line is that he is an energy dynamo," Coulter said. "He is here about 14 hours a day. He usually gets here around 5 and does not leave until 7."

Dyal was instrumental in the construction of the Marine obstacle course, found money for the ROTC program's new hiking gear and consistently received the best teacher reviews from his students.

Coulter also said Dyal organized the fundraiser Amphibious Warrior Mud Run.

"Maj. Dyal is the finest officer I have ever served with," Coulter said.

Matthew Angel, senior in exercise science and member of Auburn's Naval ROTC, said he has benefited from Dyal's instruction.

"He is one of the most motivated, unselfish people I have met." Angel said. "He is always focused on how he is going to help you and never questions how anything will affect him."

Dyal joined the Marine Corp right out of high school. He called this decision a "calling," hoping to be a part of something challenging and bigger than himself.

"Maj. Dyal is an unbelievable family man," Coulter said. "When he is not at work, he is fully engaged at home building tree houses or going on daddy-daughter dates."

Dyal is married with three daughters--9, 7 and 5.

Dyal said he enjoys anything outside, mostly running, swimming and biking.

He said he also enjoys hunting, fishing, camping and hiking.

He is a native of Ocala, Fla., and attended Jacksonville University through the Marine Enlisted Commissioning Education Program, which allows enlisted Marines to attend school and transition into an officer position.

"Maj. Dyal is a great teacher, but it is what he does outside the classroom that makes him great," Angel said. "He is the last person who would ever want to receive an award, which I think is the reason he deserves one."

Share and discuss “Honoree is 'Major' family man” on social media.