City of Auburn debates 1 percent sales tax increase at Tuesday's meeting

The Auburn City Council is two weeks away from voting on a sales-tax ordinance.

The council will vote on a 1 percent sales tax increase at the June 21 meeting.

Sheila Eckman, City Council Ward #2, said the eight council members and mayor will each vote in the process.

She said it has been four or five years since a tax increase has occurred in Auburn, and the council will do all within its power to reassure the process is done correctly.

There are many reasons the council is considering the ordinance, but it all boils down to one thing.

"We need more money," Eckman said.

Bill Ham, mayor of Auburn, said there are three main areas in Auburn where the money is needed.

These departments are economic development, the public school system and infrastructure.

The combined total of funds needed to complete these projects is about $45 million.

Ham said the economic developments Auburn needs will cost approximately $17 million.

Some of the money generated by the 1 percent tax increase would be used to complete construction of West Tech Park, off exit 51 of I-85.

Ham said some companies are waiting for the park to be finished before they move business to Auburn.

The second area in need of money is the public school system.

There has been a continued increase in enrollment at Auburn schools, which has pressed the city to build a new elementary school.

This project will cost between $19 and $20 million.

The last of the three major departments in need of financial help is infrastructure.

The enlargement of the I-85 bridge on Moores Mill Road, an $8 million project, would be funded by the 1 percent tax increase.

"Everyone wants the city to be as lean as possible," said Lolly Steiner, president of the Auburn Chamber of Commerce.

Steiner said during these weeks, the council has been meeting with the Chamber of Commerce to ensure it is doing what is best for Auburn's citizens by keeping costs low.

At the City Council meeting on June 7, no one from the community spoke during the designated time in regards to the upcoming vote.

Steiner said she believes this is because no one is really aware of the possible increase of taxes.

"People will only realize once they go to get their everyday meal at Chick-fil-a and realize their meal wasn't the same amount it has always been," Steiner said.

Each citizen is given the chance to speak before the council concerning the sales-tax ordinance. This is not a new policy.

Each meeting includes a citizen's communication portion, during which citizens can address any concerns over city policy or ordinances.

Also at the June 7 meeting, the council passed an ordinance that will increase citizens' monthly sewage and solid-waste fees by about $5.

The ordinance will take effect Oct. 1.

Council meetings are held in the Council Chambers on 141 North Ross St. Citizens may find contact information for council members online at www.auburnalabama.org/cc.

Share and discuss “City of Auburn debates 1 percent sales tax increase at Tuesday's meeting” on social media.