Funds needed for firefighting

Safety may come at a higher price for some in 2012.

Fire fees in Lee County have been set at $25 per month for the last 25 years, but the current fire fee bill expires within the year.

Lee County residents must vote on a potential fee increase.

Daniel Haden, fire chief of the Southwest Lee County Fire Department, said there are seven fire departments in Lee County, and six of them rely on the funding from the fire fees.

"We may have to close doors if we don't have a fee increase," Haden said. "We have been barely making ends meet."

While most students will be indirectly affected by the potential increase of fees, other students will have to put aside $50 extra per month.

Only students who live outside Auburn city limits will have to pay the increase.

Lee Lamar, fire chief in Auburn, said many trailer parks and residental areas on Wire Road are outside Auburn city limits, and residents in these areas will feel the impact.

The money raised would provide local fire departments the ability to receive grants, enabling them to obtain new trucks, fire gear and other equipment.

All local fire departments are 100 percent voluntary, allowing the money to be used for other goods besides personnel.

The national average is currently $150 for fire protection service--six times that of Lee County.

The current fees were set in 1989, when fuel was 53 cents per gallon.

"Today, fuel is at approximately $3.60 per gallon, and we are still working off the same fees we had 25 years ago," Haden said.

Lamar said if the bill is passed, the county will see benefits in fall 2012.

Haden said the bill for the increase of fees has already been written and approved by the state legislature.

The Lee County Fire Association is putting a plan of action together to present to the Lee County Commission.

Students whose bills will be increased can have a vote in the process and voice their opinions.

The Lee County Commission will approve a vote for the fire fee, but no date has been set.

"We are going to need help with this vote," Haden said.

The fire department is making plans to be available to help students become aware and register to vote in the process.

"We want to help get students registered to vote, and we want them to vote yes," Haden said.

Share and discuss “Funds needed for firefighting” on social media.