Miss Auburn cooks up a way to help fight domestic hunger

Miss Auburn University Emilee Williams is assembling a cookbook, with the proceeds going to help fight domestic hunger. (PLAINSMAN ARCHIVES)

Miss Auburn University Emilee Williams has been cooking up ways to fight domestic hunger--literally.

Williams is assembling a cookbook with student-contributed recipes, and the proceeds from its sale will benefit local hunger initiatives.

Williams said she has always had a passion for promoting hunger awareness.

When she was in high school, she volunteered at a local food bank and noticed some of her classmates coming in with their families for food assistance.

"This is the first time that I realized how prevalent hunger is domestically," said Williams, junior in civil engineering and hunger studies. "Since then, hunger has always been my passion."

The cookbook will be released during Hunger Week, Oct. 10-16, which is also the start of the Beat Bama Food Drive.

Lindsey Beno, junior in communication and marketing, heard about the cookbook and decided to submit her own favorite recipes.

"I think this is such a great cause," Beno said. "I love baking and all that stuff, so when my sister mentioned it to me, I thought it was such a great idea."

One recipe Beno submitted is for French doughnuts.

The recipe calls for dipping yellow cake cupcakes in melted butter, cinnamon and brown sugar.

"It's actually the perfect recipe for college kids because it's really easy," Beno said.

Along with putting together the cookbook, Williams is taking other steps to promote hunger awareness. She serves as the College of Engineering representative for the Committee of 19. Auburn's leading organization combating the war on hunger.

"A lot of what we do is fundraising for East Alabama Food Bank and spreading awareness and raising money for the United Nations World Food Programme," said president of the Committee of 19 Courtni Ward, senior in international business.

Ward said the committee was founded on four basic principles: raising hunger awareness, advocacy, fundraising and incorporating academic initiatives.

As the College of Engineering representative for the committee, Williams said she tries to make hunger awareness a priority for engineering majors.

"Her whole goal is to make hunger relatable to engineering students," Ward said.

After hearing about the cookbook, Ward submitted a few recipes of her own, including a whoopie pie recipe and an apple pie recipe.

"This cookbook is just a really cool thing, especially around the holiday season," Ward said. "We always see things we wanna buy for our family members and sometimes we can get so caught up in consumerism. It's really cool to purchase gifts for family and friends that benefit a great cause."

Williams said she hopes to not only raise money for local hunger initiatives, but to raise hunger awareness among students.

"I want people to realize that this is not a lost cause and that it is easy for them to get involved," Williams said.

"I want to pass on the power of advocacy to each person that I can reach."

Share and discuss “Miss Auburn cooks up a way to help fight domestic hunger” on social media.