It's beginning to look a lot like Christmas in Opelika

For all you early Christmas shoppers, Opelika Main Street is bringing out its Christmas decorations and gifts.

The retail shops in downtown Opelika will have an open house Sunday from noon to 5 p.m.

"Open house is typically when all the retail stores in downtown Opelika debut all their Christmas merchandise that they're going to be selling for the holiday season," said Pam Powers-Smith, director of Opelika Main Street. "That's a reason a lot of people come, because it's the first look at everything."

Along with the retail stores' sales, businesses will provide snacks and drinks, and free gift wrapping will be provided for any gifts purchased.

"Normally we do some refreshments for our customers that are coming in that day," said Stacie Money, owner of Fringe consignment store in downtown Opelika.

"We have a lot of people that look forward to the open house to see all of the new Christmas arrivals."

Money said all types of businesses do something special for the open house.

"Our businesses that are services will be selling gift cards and gift certificates that day, too," Powers-Smith said.

Shoppers will also have opportunities to win door prizes from all the stores.

"If you come down and shop Opelika Main Street, and if you sign up for door prizes and give us your email address, all the stores donate a prize pack," Powers-Smith said.

Powers-Smith said she knows bringing out Christmas items the first week of November may seem early.

"I think our stores have reacted to people shopping for Christmas very early," Powers-Smith said. "When we had our food and wine festival earlier this month, we had people shopping for Christmas gifts that night. People were buying and requesting Christmas gift wrap on their gift."

Shopping early can help a busy family stay ahead of the stress of Christmas season.

"My mom does her Christmas shopping before Thanksgiving," said Jacob Dean, sophomore in political science. "She never wants to wait until Christmas starts because things get so busy."

Powers-Smith said she knows many people want to extend their holiday season.

"I think it makes the holiday season a little bit longer for people to enjoy," she said.

"We want people to be familiar with downtown as the place to go for their holiday gift.

"We make it last two months rather than one, and it kind of gets into people's heads that this is the place to go."

Powers-Smith said she is confident that Opelika Main Street is the place for Auburn and Opelika residents to do their Christmas shopping.

"We want people to know they can get any sort of holiday gift down here," she said. "Sunday will be a preview of that.

"A lot of people will come next Sunday and just look, not buy anything, and then they're going to come back for more."

Share and discuss “It's beginning to look a lot like Christmas in Opelika” on social media.