Campus, community unite for the holidays

Auburn is ringing in the holiday season with hot chocolate, caroling and one big Christmas tree.

Student Government Association and University Program Council are co-sponsoring a holiday celebration Thursday at 6:30 p.m. on Samford Lawn.

"We will be lighting the holiday tree," said Olivia Hutchinson, junior in public relations and SGA director of the holiday celebration. "It's actually a stationary tree that's on Samford Lawn all year long. It's near the corner of College and Thach."

The tree lighting will be the highlight of this year's holiday celebration.

"I love the way Auburn is decorated for Christmas every year," said Sara Vaughan, junior in early childhood education. "A lot of people will go take pictures in front of the tree with their friends."

Auburn Mayor Bill Ham will join the community to light the tree.

"He does a big 'War Eagle,' and on the 'Hey!' the tree lights up," Hutchinson said. "It's a cool little moment."

Other aspects of the celebration include keynote speakers, music and children's activities.

"We're having children's choirs come from the surrounding elementary schools," said Rachel McKinnon, undeclared sophomore and SGA assistant director of the celebration. "They're going to come up and sing four songs during the program."

The Auburn University choirs and AU Cappella will sing several popular Christmas carols, and Hutchinson said there will be entertainment for people of all ages at the lighting.

"We'll have a couple different tables set up at the event and free hot chocolate, apple cider and cookies," Hutchinson said. "We'll also have a table where kids can write letters to Santa."

Hutchinson said she's hoping to involve the community even more this year. Many stores downtown will stay open past closing, and the Hotel at Auburn University will reveal its gingerbread village after the event.

The celebration will also be an opportunity for people to give back to the community.

"The biggest thing about the event is collecting toys for Toys for Tots," Hutchinson said. "Those toys have to be new and unwrapped. Anyone is welcome to bring them, whether community members, students, faculty, anyone."

SGA President Kirby Turnage and UPC President Anne Smead will both speak at the event.

"While they're speaking, we are lighting a unity candle," Hutchinson said, "so everyone in the audience will have a candle to light. It's a moment of unity of all of the Auburn Family, Auburn community, students, faculty--everyone at the event being one at that moment in time."

McKinnon said she likes being able to celebrate Christmas in Auburn.

"It's been a blast, and I love Christmas time," she said. "It's my favorite season. It's just fun to get to plan stuff for it, especially being in Auburn because usually Christmas is kind of an at-home thing. Having it here, too, has been great."

Vaughan also said she enjoys celebrating the holidays at school.

"Celebrating Christmas here makes Auburn feel more like home."

Share and discuss “Campus, community unite for the holidays” on social media.