Ward innocent until proven guilty

Innocent until proven guilty has become almost as outdated as the geocentric model.

With nationally prominent cases like those of O.J. Simpson, Casey Anthony and Charles Manson, none of which were found guilty of murder, in the understanding of most of society all three are killers.

This effect hit closer to home two weeks ago when Yahoo reported Auburn point guard Varez Ward is being investigated by the FBI for point shaving.

Once the shocking news sank in, the jokes began.

Being the first investigation involving an Auburn athlete since Cam Newton, fans could not have handled the two situations any more differently.

With Newton, "Stand with Cam" was the big motto. With Ward, there is no motto.

Basketball coach Tony Barbee silently reinforced that logic by offering three-star guard Brian Greene Jr. a late scholarship.

Whether Ward is guilty of the alleged point shaving or not, there's no happy ending for him.

Even if he is found not guilty, there's still no chance of him ever putting on an Auburn uniform again--all over a rumor.

And with the Auburn family not having Ward's back, it raises the question of when the Plains became so cynical.

After superstar center Rob Chubb returned from his suspension, which was actually for being arrested, he became more popular. There wasn't any smoke there. Everyone saw the bloody mugshot that revealed the truth.

Ward isn't the first player from Auburn to receive similar treatment, though.

After Michael Dyer was suspended, allegedly for failing a drug test, and when news initially broke of him transferring, there were groups of this great "family" that were fine with his departure.

Hopefully remembering correctly, it was because Auburn doesn't need a thug.

Society's perspective has been skewed over the years because of laziness and ignorance.

In a world that has become all about image, people are quick to judge and, obviously, are willing to put those in power down.

Survival of the fittest is taking place here and now. For instance, what happened when Tommy Tuberville couldn't hang with the SEC in 2008?

Saying that, people also don't want to be associated with those being judge.

That's one reason why Ward is being left hung out to dry.

As the investigation continues, if the Auburn family does not begin to support Ward, it clearly shows how dysfunctional this family really can be.

The best word to use is conditional.

Ward isn't needed like Newton was. Dyer wasn't needed like Newton was. So, they can leave.

It's the epitome of a contradiction.

If nothing else, Auburn should support Ward simply to avoid any repercussions that it may experience if Ward is found guilty. If that's the case, Auburn basketball will continue to struggle for years to come.

Share and discuss “Ward innocent until proven guilty” on social media.