Auburn trustees approve certificates, airport guidelines

The Board of Trustees met Friday, Feb. 1 to make decisions regarding new master's certificates and airport regulations. (Lance Davis / SPORTS WRITER)

The Board of Trustees discussed new graduate and master's certificates and new regulations for the Auburn University Regional Airport at a meeting Friday, Feb. 1 at the Auburn University at Montgomery campus.

The Board approved certificates offered at Auburn, including a graduate certificate in brewing sciences.

"Additional emphasis on business practices appropriate for brewers, managers and executives in the brewing industry will be covered in this course," said provost Timothy Boosinger.

The Board also approved a master's certificate in turfgrass management.

The Auburn University Regional Airport was another topic of discussion. The Board approved amendments to the airport's list of guidelines.

"As I mentioned to you before, our goal in the 2005 Airport Layout Plan was to encourage corporate development in the airport, and these documents will help foster these plans," said Mike Hutto, director of the airport.

The board also discussed the possibility of extending the airport's runway to accommodate a charter jet.

"If you look at where we are, if you go even 500 feet or any other distance, you move out into the (Indian Pines Golf Course)," Hutto said.

The 5,200-foot runway would have to be extended another 1,300 feet for a total of 6,500 feet.

"That is something that we'd like to see happen at some point in time," said trustee James Rane.

Share and discuss “Auburn trustees approve certificates, airport guidelines” on social media.