Silent candle light vigil for domestic abuse victims held Oct. 15

Alexa Combs, Alpha Chi Omega member and sophomore in business, watched the balloons dedicated to domestic abuse victims be released from Cater Lawn Tuesday, Oct. 15.

For Regina Wood, guest speaker at the vigil, life was filled with a series of violent and unexplainable acts before she decided to seek help and change her life.
"Nov. 1 five years ago was the day that I actually said goodbye to my yesterday," Wood said. "It was when my boyfriend pinned me down while I was asleep and began to punch me in my face."
The memories of those lost to domestic violence were remembered at the Silent Witness Candlelight Vigil and Roll Call on Cater Lawn Tuesday, Oct. 15, sponsored by the Women's Resource Center in partnership with Alpha Chi Omega, the Domestic Violence Intervention Center and Public Safety and Security.
Wood was one of the guest speakers asked to provide a survivor's story of living with domestic violence all throughout her life before finally gathering the courage to escape.
"It was always the same thing, 'I'm sorry, I'll never do it again,'" Wood said. "Oh my God, I can't even tell you how many times "again" happened."
Students, faculty, volunteers and members of the community were present to remember the victims, listen to the stories of domestic violence survivors and disseminate information about resources for women in need.
Members of the Alpha Chi Omega sorority released balloons with tags bearing the names of recent victims in the Lee County area after their names were called in the memorial service.
"We've been doing this for a number of years to bring awareness to domestic violence and dating violence," said Susan McCallister, associate director of the Department of Public Safety and Security. "We don't have a lot of students with domestic violence issues, but we do have a lot of issues related to unhealthy relationships because college students are just learning how to relate to each other."
McAllister said although relationships might not seem extreme at the time, unhealthy relationships often start with things like extreme jealousy, checking each other's social media and limiting time with friends.
Safe Harbor, center for sexual assault victims and relationship violence, is one of the many options available to students, providing resources, such as medical treatment, counseling and accommodations.
If you or someone you know shows signs of isolation or domestic abuse, be the candle that ignites the others and let them know that there are people out there who can help them live without fear.

Share and discuss “Silent candle light vigil for domestic abuse victims held Oct. 15” on social media.