Another tough test, another big stage for Auburn

Dee Ford and Cassanova McKinzy bring down Alabama running back TJ Yeldon in the Iron Bowl. (Zach Bland / PHOTOGRAPHER)

Now that the greatest Iron Bowl -- and maybe the greatest college football game ever -- is over, Auburn can move on to Atlanta to face No. 5 Missouri in the SEC Championship Game.
Last season, both of these schools had miserable seasons. The media picked Auburn and Missouri to finish near the bottom of the SEC in 2013.
Now they will head to the Georgia Dome as the two top teams in the conference thanks to fantastic coaching jobs by both Missouri head coach Gary Pinkel and Auburn head coach Gus Malzahn.
While Missouri is no Alabama, they will still be one of the toughest opponents Auburn has faced all year, especially on the offensive side of the ball.
Auburn has only faced two offenses better than Missouri this season -- Texas A&M and Georgia.
While both Texas A&M and Georgia have better total offensive numbers, Missouri is a much more balanced team on the ground and through the air.
Missouri averages 236 rushing yards and 252 passing yards per game. Texas A&M and Georgia were more one-dimensional with pass-heavy offenses.
The Tigers from Columbia will also have the best rushing offense the Tigers have faced all season. Only Auburn averages more yards rushing than Missouri in the SEC.
Defensively, Missouri also presents challenges. While the numbers don't show it, Missouri has made plays on the defensive side of the ball when they needed to.
In their last game against Texas A&M they only gave up 21 points to Johnny Manziel and the high-flying Aggie offense.
As a whole, with exception to Alabama, this could be the toughest team Auburn has faced all season.
Missouri has faced a tougher schedule than the Crimson Tide and could easily be undefeated if starting quarterback James Franklin had not been injured for the South Carolina game.
If the Auburn Tigers want to walk away with the SEC Championship, they are going to have to do what has gotten them to this point in the season.
Run the football. \0x2028Last week, all of the national media said Auburn would not be able to run the ball against the Alabama defense, but they proved them wrong by putting up 296 yards -- the most a Nick Saban defense had ever allowed during his time in Tuscaloosa..
If Auburn can wear the Missouri defense down with the run game, then Nick Marshall will have some options in the downfield passing game.
This will be an easier task than last week because the Missouri defense is the worst in the SEC in defending the pass, giving up 266 yards per game through the air.
Another big advantage for the Tigers is the game being played in Atlanta.
Auburn has one of the best fan bases in college football and having the game where so many Auburn alumni live will be a big advantage for the Tigers.
Taking everything into account Auburn should be able to come away with a victory and the SEC Championship.
Auburn's run game will be too much for Missouri to handle and playing on a stage as big as this game will be something new for Missouri, while Auburn has a lot of experience playing in big games like this.
The game should remain close, but once the run game gets going Auburn should pull away to a 42-24 win and the SEC Championship.
The next question will be is this enough to get Auburn a spot in the BCS title game?
In my opinion if both Florida State and Ohio State win then Auburn will not make the title game, and the SEC's reign atop college football will end.

Share and discuss “Another tough test, another big stage for Auburn” on social media.