Auburn's new Jim 'N Nick's aims for that "hometown feel"

Auburn's Jim 'N Nick's opens Feb. 4, 2014

It was surprising to walk into the new restaurant, with its classic Jim 'N Nick's style and twinkle lights on the patio, and see it completely deserted inside.
Usually, the restaurants are packed to the brim with customers and the smell of delicious barbecue. Instead, it smelled of fresh wood and new paint. The new restaurant is almost complete and ready for the opening, Feb. 4.
Even more surprising was seeing the owner at his desk in the restaurant. His "desk" was a table for four, and on it was his computer, multiple building plans and coffee. Gadilhe was switching between pacing around the restaurant, constantly on the phone and sitting at his chair typing away.
When we sat down with him, Gadilhe revealed why he loves Jim 'N Nick's so much and why their food is so good.

Q: What made you think Auburn was the place to open a new Jim 'N Nick's?

A: I own Jim 'N Nick's in Montgomery and Prattville, and we--myself and co-owner and creator of the restaurant, Nick Pihakais--thought Auburn was a great community. We believe the brand will do well here since it is a growing community and we are a growing service. I am a local owner, which means I live near the businesses. I live outside Montgomery and constantly visit the restaurants. That way I can be involved in the communities.

Q: How did you get involved in this business?

A: I grew up in the food and beverage industry. My parents were involved and took me with them. When I was in high school, I was a bus boy for Jim 'N Nick's. Then I worked my way up to assistant manager, then general manager. I love to cook, so I love being anywhere in the kitchen. I'm supposed to be out there being the face of Jim 'N Nick's at the meet and greets, but you'll usually find me in the kitchen with an apron on cooking the food.

Q: Tell me about the personality of a Jim 'N Nick's restaurant.
A: I just really love the whole concept of the restaurant, the southern food and comfort culture. It's a comfortable, family atmosphere. We want it to be a home away from home for people. It's something I'm passionate about. I have a wife, Trisha, and two kids, Callen and Adeline; so the family aspect is important to me. We also don't have any freezers here. Everything is brought in daily, so it's fresh. We try to purchase from local farmers so the food is as fresh as it can be.

Q: What's your favorite item on the menu?
A: I really love the barbecue, of course. We take our barbecue seriously, trying to keep it in that Southern style. We even have pictures of pit masters up on our walls. Barbecue is a way of life, and we're not competing with anyone. Everyone is unique when it comes to cooking it. I also really like the southern chopped veggie salad from the new menu. You can add smoked chicken to it. The new menu has only been out for about four months.

Q: What do you like to cook when you're at home?
A: I just like being on the grill, and what comes along with that. It's not about grilling, but being outside and around people and having a nice cold beverage. We smoked a whole pig for ESPN when they were down here for Gameday. We got up at 4:30 a.m. and served it for lunch. I just like being around people, and it's rewarding after you cook something on the grill for that long.

Share and discuss “Auburn's new Jim 'N Nick's aims for that "hometown feel"” on social media.