A look back at The Vault: from cigar shop to coffee shop and now bar

Not many college towns can boast a bar that was once a historic bank, but Auburn can.
In downtown Auburn, The Vault stands among restaurants and boutiques and resembles a typical college bar. But, behind the beer and tacos lay years of history, serving customers inside Auburn's first bank.
The Bank of Auburn began construction in 1906 and opened its doors Jan. 3, 1907. The location of the Bank, situated across from Toomer's Drug Store was no accident. Sheldon Toomer, the owner, decided it was time for Auburn to be home to a bank.
According to Auburn history, Toomer and Auburn locals had to travel seven miles to the nearest bank by horse and buggy. These trips became tiresome and Toomer decided he would open a bank to benefit Auburn and the University.
Over the years, the bank building has seen many different businesses come and go. From a cigar shop to a coffee shop and now a bar.
The Vault has a unique aspect all it's own, the incorporation of Auburn history. Auburn values history and tradition above all else, and the Vault is no exception. The original bank vault is still remains in the exact spot and now used for something a different than money.
"We still use the old bank vault," said manager Ben Barley said. "It houses our dry storage, supplies and serves as a liquor cabinet."
Historically, the Vault also has a strict 21 and older policy, attracting an older crowd in downtown Auburn. But throughout the years, The Vault's policies have changed.
"We've always been a bar that was 21 and up," Barley said. "But when Sky Bar and 17/16 came along, we had to adjust the age limit."
During the week, The Vault allows those 19 and older to enter.
"You would think the history of this place would be widely known around town," Barley said. "But it's not. We're more of a chill place to hang out, not a party party place like all the 19 year olds want."
Bodega, also a bar, inhabited the Bank from 1999-2009, when The Vault took over.
"Before I graduated, I would go to The Vault with people from class and we could work on group projects at a table," said Cameron Traylor, Auburn graduate. "It is a lot different from any other bar in Auburn."
Barley said the laid back atmosphere sets The Vault apart from other bars in the area.
"I just like how the whole bar seems like a place you can sit around and hang out with your friends," said Faith Woodruff-Blinn, junior in general social sciences. "It is a relaxed place."
The businesses inside the Auburn Bank vault have changed throughout the years but has always remained a place for the residents of Auburn to gather and commune.

Share and discuss “A look back at The Vault: from cigar shop to coffee shop and now bar” on social media.