Auburn campus and community offer several ways to stay safe

(Charlotte Kelly | Graphics Editor)
(Charlotte Kelly | Graphics Editor)

Auburn University takes pride in the low crime rate on campus. Collegefactual.com deemed the University at being about average when it comes to crime rate. The website gave Auburn a B+ crime grade and included a break down of which crimes are most prevalent on campus.
78.6 percent of crime are burglaries, 10.7 percent is motor vehicle theft, 7.1 percent is robbery and 3.6 percent is sexual assault. The University is about average when it comes to possession of weapon, drugs and liquor.
The University's Public Safety department offers multiple resources and tips to ensure students are safe on campus.
"We seek to be a user-friendly department and to build a relationship of mutual trust and respect with students, faculty and staff as we strive to provide a safe and secure environment through educational programming, collaboration with various university constituents, and enforcement of laws and regulations," Executive Director of Public Safety and Security, Melvin Owens, said.
The University is contracted with the City of Auburn Public Safety department to provide a police presence on campus and all crimes are reported to the Auburn Police Division. AUPSS is available 24 hours a day to report non-emergent campus safety and security concerns at 334-844-8888.
Auburn offers AU ALERT, a system that communicates emergency information to students quickly via text, call and email. Campus is also equipped with eight outdoor warning sirens that communicate immediate emergencies on campus.
The University also sends time sensitive emails to students alerting them of specific types of incidents on campus. On Sunday, July 20, students were sent an email alerting them of a sexual assault that occurred on campus.
Auburn Police Division Captain, Lorenza Dorsey encourages students to travel in groups and keep an eye on their drinks at all times.
The Campus Security Shuttle is available for free use to on-campus locations from 6 p.m. to 7 a.m. seven days a week. Call 334-884-7400 to obtain a shuttle.
The Tiger Transit Off-Campus Night Transit is also available for off campus use. The transits are in use beginning at 6:15 p.m. to 10 p.m. during the fall and spring semesters and depart from the Student Center/Haley Center hub every 30 minutes.
The Tiger Ten Late Night Transportations system leaves from Magnolia Avenue beginning at 10:30 p.m. until 3:30 a.m. on Fridays and Saturdays and also travels at 30-minute intervals.
The University also offers different resources for students to cope with instances of violence on campus.
Auburn University Student Counseling Services offer students counseling by certified psychologists.
Doug Hankes is the Director of SCS and works closely with students in need of counseling.
"We see all kinds of students with any kind of psychological mental health issues, but we also see students who are just having a rough time in school," Hankes said. "From students who are having roommate difficulties to athletes that need help to perform better we talk to all kinds of students."
Hankes said SCS tries to de-stigmatize the negative views associated with mental illnesses or mental health.
The University offers services from Safe Harbor, an advocacy program for students who have experienced sexual assault or harassment and the community offers services via Rape Counselors of East Alabama.
The Executive Director of RCEA, Vickie Dearing, said the most important aspect of RCEA is making sure the victims don't have to go through the long healing process alone.
"We respond to hospital calls when a sexual assault victim has been brought in and we stay with them every step of the way," Dearing said. "Victims might not know all of the resources that are offered to them and we act as a sort of referral service for them."
The 24 hour hotline is 334-705-0510 and counselors are always available to offer insight and support for victims.
The University Public Safety department advises students to keep windows and doors locked at their homes at all times, staying alert to surroundings, walk confidently and trust your instincts. For all emergencies, the University advises to call 911.

______________________________________________________________________________

Share and discuss “Auburn campus and community offer several ways to stay safe” on social media.