SEC MEDIA DAYS 2014: Offensive stars, coaches promise more balance in 2014

C.J. Uzomah replaced Nick Marshall at SEC Media Days.

Raye May / PHOTO & DESIGN EDITOR
C.J. Uzomah replaced Nick Marshall at SEC Media Days. Raye May / PHOTO & DESIGN EDITOR

When tight end C.J. Uzomah looks back at Auburn's backfield, he sees a monster.
"You can kind of account for our running backs going through the hole, but then Nick [Marshall] will take off for 200 yards like he did against Tennessee," Uzomah said Monday at Auburn's session of SEC Media Days. "That added dimension is definitely there, and with the work that he's been putting in during the offseason, it's definitely a triple-headed monster in our offense."
And he says that will only be half of the problem for opposing defenses in 2014.
After a 2013 SEC Championship season that featured the nation's No. 1 rushing attack, Auburn is hoping to keep the momentum going on the ground, even after the departure of Heisman finalist and school record holder Tre Mason.
With the Tigers electing to run the ball on 72 percent of their possessions last season, defenses will be focused on shutting down the read-option game between Nick Marshall and his top running back, who will most likely be Corey Grant or Cameron Artis-Payne.
According to Malzahn, that is when his offense will tip the scales.
"We led the country in rushing last year," Malzahn said. "When you do that, defenses have to take some chances. We've got to do a better job this year of making them pay when they do take their chances."
Marshall will be the central focus of Malzahn and offensive coordinator Rhett Lashlee's mission to give run-heavy Auburn a more balanced attack in 2014.
The senior quarterback has already proved his worth as one of the nation's top rushers under center, but now his coaches want him to improve his passing. Marshall completed only 59 percent of his passes last season for fewer than 2,000 yards and 14 touchdowns.
But he showcased the Tigers' new emphasis on passing during the spring A-Day Game, where he threw for 247 yards and four touchdowns in just one half of play.
Uzomah told reporters at SEC Media Days to expect that trend to continue into the fall.
"It's going to be a lot more balanced than last year," Uzomah said. "It's been fun being in the mix with, in my opinion, the best group of receivers in the nation. It's a lot of fun to have the opportunity to be in the mix with those guys."
Auburn returns big-play weapon Sammie Coates, who finished third nationally in yards per catch, and several more veterans at wide receiver, such as Georgia game hero Ricardo Louis and a re-energized Quan Bray.
Joining the experienced corps are former No. 1 junior college recruit D'haquiile Williams and Jaylon Denson, who was one of the Tigers' most consistent performers in the 2013 preseason.
No matter who lines up at wide receiver or in the backfield for Auburn this season, senior center Reese Dismukes said he expects Malzahn and his staff to make the right call for the offense.
"I think Coach Malzahn is a great offensive mind and just a genius," Dismukes said. "I think that has a lot to do with a lot of our success. He, Coach Lashlee and [running backs coach Tim] Horton all work so well together."
Auburn has a target on its back after winning the SEC Championship in 2013, and Uzomah knows defenses will be focusing on being the first to figure out how to shut down the Tigers.
But he said he believes that the triple-headed monster and the nation's best receivers will always have the upper hand thanks to the coach roaming the sidelines.
"We have so many plays under the same formation that look the exact same, so it's really hard to gameplan for something like that," Uzomah said. "You can try your best to gameplan, and we may get stumped on certain plays on a certain drive. But Coach Malzahn will adjust, and we'll adjust as a team."

Read more:

SEC MEDIA DAYS 2014: Two years after arrest, senior center Dismukes a "team leader"

SEC MEDIA DAYS 2014: Fans flock to Hoover for unofficial start of football season

SEC MEDIA DAYS 2014: Nick Marshall to face "consequences" following marijuana citation

SEC MEDIA DAYS 2014: Jaylon Denson and Justin Garrett granted extra year of eligibility

SEC MEDIA DAYS 2014: Defensive end Lawson recovering from summer ACL surgery

Share and discuss “SEC MEDIA DAYS 2014: Offensive stars, coaches promise more balance in 2014” on social media.