Local chefs donate time to March of Dimes

For the third year in a row, the March of Dimes of East Alabama will bring together Auburn's top local chefs to display their culinary expertise for the Signature Chefs Auction.
This auction is set to take place Sept. 16 at the Auburn University Club on Yarborough Farms Boulevard.
Similar events have taken place across the country for the past 20 years led by various March of Dimes chapters.
Chefs from local restaurants, such as Acre, Zazu's Gastropub and Hamilton's on Magnolia will provide samples to guests.
According to Linda Gross, March of Dimes senior community director, a silent auction will take place during the tasting at 6 p.m., followed by a small live auction.
All items being auctioned will be donated to benefit March of Dimes to help improve the lives of mothers and babies in the community.
"We can't raise money if we have to buy stuff," Gross said. "The chefs donate their time, their food, their talent."
One of the events' sponsors is Rex Maynor, publisher of Opelika-Auburn News.
Maynor spoke highly of both the event and March of Dimes.
"I can think of no other organization that supports the birth and growth of healthy children that is more deserving of support," Maynor said.
Once the auction is complete, a local ambassador family will share their personal March of Dimes experience.
"It's their opportunity to share their story and to thank everyone there," Gross said.
Two event chairs, Tricia Peterson and Lisa Persons, run the Signature Chefs Auction. Both are local business owners and have co-chaired the event for the past two years, as well as this year.
"It has been exciting to see this event grow over the past three years," Persons said. "Even the attendance last year was at least double the first year."
Gross works closely with Persons and expects approximately 150 guests this year.
Persons, like many March of Dimes supporters, said she feels she has a personal connection to the organization.
"One of the reasons I have chosen to be a part of the Signature Chefs Auction event is because I have four children of my own, and am passionate about the education and support the March of Dimes provides to expectant mothers," Persons said. "I am blessed and thankful for my own children's health, but have witnessed firsthand several of my close friends give birth to premature babies."
The March of Dimes works on improving the health of premature babies in addition to typical babies.
"March of Dimes is about all babies," Gross said. "We consider the healthy babies to be our happy endings."
Gross said she sees it as an opportunity for more people to get involved with the organization.
"We wanted to do something that was a little different, that might be interesting to people who don't necessarily want to do a walk," Gross said. "It's really just an enjoyable evening for people to come out and support a great cause."
The Signature Chefs Auction is expected to begin at 6 p.m. and end at approximately 9 p.m. Tickets are $75 and can be purchased via phone at (334) 513-7381.

Share and discuss “Local chefs donate time to March of Dimes” on social media.