Auburn helps graduates in job search

After the spring graduates of Auburn University cross the stage with their diplomas in hand, many will begin their job search.

According to Nancy Bernard, director of the Auburn University Career Center, Auburn prepares students for the workforce by providing students with opportunities to build their résumés by adding to their skill set.

Bernard said internships are desirable with many employers because they show the student has experience in the professional world.

Eric Vogt, senior in biosystems engineering, said Auburn is helpful in finding jobs and internships through their reputation with various industries.

“The USDA has always welcomed Auburn students for research in biomass operations, and, in my humble opinion, Auburn has taught me all the necessary skills to be involved in the internship,” Vogt said.

Vogt said his professors inform students of employment opportunities.

“Many of my professors have helped me review and critique my résumé,” Vogt said.

According to Bernard, undergraduate research positons are among the diverse opportunities Auburn offers its students to gain experience in their field of study.

Undergraduate research positons help students gain expertise in their field that trains them for their future jobs before graduation, according to Bernard.

Rachel Pipan, Office of Undergraduate Research assistant and senior in public relations, said participating in an undergraduate research study shows students have gone the extra mile in college by pursuing a highly academic opportunity.

According to Pipan, Auburn undergraduate research opportunities challenge students to become the problem solvers employers desire.

“Undergraduate research encourages students to think outside the box and go beyond the classroom building qualitative and quantitative data,” Pipan said.

Pipan said undergraduate research is situated to help Auburn graduates excel.

“Auburn gives us a love of knowledge and (makes) us more rounded individuals,” Pipan said.

According to Pipan, undergraduate research programs are not limited to students in majors that are research-intensive, such as majors within the College of Sciences and Mathematics.

“Going over statistics and doing content analysis is not unlike what other employers will ask of graduates in other fields,” Pipan said.

Bernard said Auburn helps students become more experienced leaders through various involvement opportunities.

“You don’t have to be SGA president to become actively involved,” Bernard said. “Auburn has a diverse set of opportunities for its students.”

Bernard said the Auburn University Career Center has resources including career counselors, résumé critiquing and the Tiger Recruiting link to assist students in their job search. 

Share and discuss “Auburn helps graduates in job search” on social media.