LETTER TO THE EDITOR: Can Tigers Fly?

Ever looked skyward and seen those little white airplanes over-flying the loveliest village on the plains? Those are the Auburn University students who are enrolled in one of the oldest continually run flight schools in the United States.

Many people, including students at Auburn, are unaware that the university has a rich aviation heritage tracing all the way back to the Wright brothers in 1907. Auburn University began flight training in the 1930’s and it became a degree program under the College of Engineering in 1941. Since then, Auburn Aviation has become one of the best and well-respected collegiate flight schools in the nation. As many of the flight students will tell you, Auburn is not just teaching them how to fly, but also preparing them for the professional world of aviation.

Two years ago, the historic flight program’s validity was questioned, but thanks to the overwhelming support of Auburn Aviation alumni, committed faculty and many dedicated students, it was preserved for years to come. Since then, Auburn Aviation has only grown stronger. With knowledge of the program spreading throughout the country, more aspiring aviators are looking to earn their wings at Auburn.

In July of 2014, the Auburn University administration, Auburn Aviation administration, faculty, and staff created the Auburn University Aviation Center. The new Aviation Center aims to promote economic development and work with state and industry leaders to strengthen the two aviation degree programs located in Auburn’s Harbert College of Business, aviation management and professional flight management. According to Auburn University Aviation Center Director Dr. Bill Hutto, “the sky is the limit” for aviation education at Auburn University.

Most recently, Auburn Aviation received the nation’s first FAA authorization to operate an unmanned aircraft systems (UAS) flight training school. This is just another example of how Auburn is growing with the times, yet still holding onto its roots. “It is a major win for the state,” said Alabama Lt. Gov. Kay Ivey and “an honor for Auburn University,” said Dr. Bill Hutto.

Another aspect of the Auburn Aviation Center is the Aerospace Engineering program under the Samuel Ginn College of Engineering. Since aviation at Auburn got its start under the engineering school, Auburn has grown to be a prominent influence in the field with numerous alumni like NASA astronaut Colonel Jim Voss. Many students may also be unaware that the aerospace engineering school is building rockets right on campus and testing them in their very own wind tunnels. Auburn’s influence in the aerospace engineering field makes it one of the best programs in the nation.

Auburn Aviation also has numerous extracurricular organizations including the War Eagle Flying Team, Alpha Eta Rho, and the newly formed student ambassador organization, the Striped Wings. All of these organizations are currently representing Auburn University Aviation on a national scale.

The future of Auburn Aviation is in the completely capable hands of the dedicated faculty and staff that have begun planning for the next chapter in Auburn Aviation’s great history. A new aviation education building for its students is in the works at the Auburn University Regional Airport. So for those wondering about those little white planes flying overhead, know that there is nothing but blue skies and a bright horizon ahead for the students of Auburn Aviation. 

Share and discuss “LETTER TO THE EDITOR: Can Tigers Fly? ” on social media.