Kiesel Park offers benefits to both dog and owner

For many student dog owners who live in an apartment or other small living space with no backyard, it can be hard to make sure their pets have the necessary outdoor time they need.

Luckily, Auburn has several dog parks that help to alleviate these issues.

One such park is the Kiesel Dog Park, which offers a large fenced-in area for dogs and owners alike to enjoy, as well as a dog obstacle course and a 2 1/2 mile nature trail.

Located on Chadwick Lane, Kiesel Park can be a much needed adventure for both dogs and owners.

The park offers the opportunity for dog owners to let their pets have some fun and safely release energy.

Will Martin, senior in accounting, was tasked with taking care of his friend’s cocker spaniel for much of the summer and said he found it difficult at first.

“Jack was probably the most hyper active dog I’ve ever experienced,” Martin said. “Every day he was running around and jumping on everything and everyone.”

The standard walks did not appease Jack’s behavior, but Martin said he soon realized bringing the dog regularly to Kiesel helped the dog’s restless energy exponentially.

“The time spent with other dogs at the park and just letting him run around really helped him calm down, and that really gave me a break,” Martin said.

While the park caters to canines, time spent at the park can be useful to the owners of the animals as well.

Grace Carrier, sophomore of nursing, is the proud owner of a black golden doodle named Murphy.

Though she said time at the dog park benefits Murphy, giving him an opportunity to stretch his legs outside of Carrier’s apartment, the experiences at the park have also benefitted her.

“If I’ve had a bad day or need a study break I’ll go there, and it just completely changes my attitude and makes me happy,” Carrier said.

Part of the appeal of the park for Carrier is not just what happens in the gated space, but also what you see as you arrive.

“The walk to the actual dog park is really relaxing because it’s a nature trail,” Carrier said.

This was a draw for Martin as well.

“It was relaxing to walk with Jack down the trail after a couple hours at the park,” Martin said.

Share and discuss “Kiesel Park offers benefits to both dog and owner” on social media.