Environment Awareness Organization to hold Earthfest in celebration of Earth Day

The Environmental Awareness Organization raises awareness about environmental issues around campus and allows students the opportunity to learn more about the environment and sustainability. To celebrate Earth Day, which is Friday, April 22, EAO is preparing to host Earthfest on April 30 from 11 a.m. to 7 p.m at the Donald E. Davis Arboretum.

According to Sara Messina, sophomore in global studies and president of EAO, the organization will teach people about composting and recycling. 

The group, which meets twice per month in Haley Center, organizes river cleanups, participates in Adopt-a-Spot on campus and takes hiking and camping trips.

Messina said theyalso tries to teach about renewable resources, composting and recycling.

"People have this mindset that it's too hard to go sustainable, and we try to put it in the simplest terms," Messina said. "We help you kind of figure it out for yourself and help you get the steps to getting [recycling] going."

Messina said she is a "hardcore" recycler after joining the EAO. She composts and said she won't throw anything away anymore.

"You just don't realize how much we throw away that's wasteful or little things that could save you money on your energy bill," Messina said.

In the fall, EAO's focus was on global climate change. According to Messina, the organization received backlash for their climate change exhibits on the concourse.

"We had no clue so many people didn't believe in it," Messina said. "We definitely had people come [up] to us [on] campus telling us we were wrong."

Messina said it was usually an agriculture student. 

"Our biggest beef is with them, because global climate change is beneficial to them because the carbon dioxide release is beneficial to the plant growth," Messina said. "I totally understand their perspective, but you also can't deny that it's a thing."

Messina said it was good to hear from a different perspective, but their organization is there to raise awareness.

"We're trying not to change your mind, [but] just raise your awareness about it," Messina said.

"It's still a day of awareness and a day about fun," Messina said. "It's just a day about pushing 'think globally, buy locally'."

The event will have about 12 bands and local vendors to push "buying locally" in the community, according to Messina. The main focus of this year's festival is the "local push", according to Messina.

"It's so laid back and really fun," Messina said. "It brings the community together to appreciate Earth Day."

Share and discuss “Environment Awareness Organization to hold Earthfest in celebration of Earth Day” on social media.