Auburn veterinarian students to host 5k this saturday

The Auburn University Student Chapter of the American Veterinary Medical Association (SCVAMA) will be hosting its second annual Trails & Tails 5k.

The 5k will take place Saturday, August 20th at 7a.m. at the Town Creek Park and the event will benefit the Alabama Veterinary Medical Foundation (ALVMF).

Carly Hubbard, an Auburn University Veterinary student who is in charge of the event this year, said the goal of the event is to raise money for the ALVMF, encourage healthy lifestyles for both animals and owners and to support the importance of the human-animal bond.

“The ALVMF gives back to Alabama Veterinarians by supporting continuing education, a spay and neuter program and a disaster preparedness station,” Hubbard said.

The event will have a 5k race as well as a 1-mile fun run/walk for racers and their dogs to participate in.

There will be a prize basket rewarded to the top male and female running with a dog and there will also be rewards for the top three male and female finishers.

“We have many gracious sponsors such as Purina Hills and Dechra that have provided us with free product samples for each participant,” said Christa Ray, the SCVMA President.

Meghan Thomas, a veterinarian student and the Class Treasurer of 2019, said that with classes starting and new, busier schedules it is understood that their pets are spending less time with them during the school day.

“Events like this reward our pups after their first week of adjusting to our new schedules by allowing them to come out, interact with a lot of people and dogs and burn off some of that added energy from spending so much time alone during the week,” Thomas said.

Registration and race bag pick up will begin at 6a.m. on race day and last until 6:45a.m.

The registration fee is set at $25 with a free t-shirt based on first come first serve.

The event asks participants to not bring any intact males, in-heat females, aggressive dogs or any dog not up to date with its vaccines.

“The race is a great start to the school year where the students can get to know each other a little better outside the class room, meet several dogs of their classmates and have a good, stress reliving activity to bring us all together as the year begins,” Thomas said. “It is a lot of fun, it is a great course and is a great way to spend the first weekend of our school year.”

Share and discuss “Auburn veterinarian students to host 5k this saturday” on social media.