Toomer’s fire suspect may be allowed to return to Germany

Jochen Wiest, the man who allegedly set the tree fire at Toomer's Corner following Auburn's win over LSU earlier this fall, requested to have his passport returned from local authorities - but it will be another week before a judge decides if the German native will be allowed to return home.

During a hearing in Lee County Circuit Court Wednesday morning, judge Steven Speakman continued a bond hearing for Wiest, who requested the return of his passport, which he surrendered per the conditions of his $3,500 bond.
Multiple witnesses said they saw Wiest lighting a piece of toilet paper on fire which quickly spread.

Wiest is charged with first-degree criminal mischief, a felony; desecration of a venerable object and public intoxication.

Speakman said he is "inclined to grant" Wiest's request for the return of his passport if if he waives his right to extradition and post a larger bond, according to Opelika-Auburn News. Speakman asked to hear from Gary Keever, horticulture professor as to the current "absolute worst case scenario, the maximum that this could cost" to replace the tree.

Last month, Keever estimated between 60 to 70 percent of the canopy was dead and it would cost between $15,000 to $20,000 to replace.

"I'm more inclined to take Dr. Keever's word for it (as to the maximum cost for replacement of the tree) given the circumstances," Speakman said. "I want to make sure that the victim's (Auburn University) interests are protected before he gets to the airport."

Margaret Brown, Wiest's attorney, said her client is willing to sign an extradition agreement that would ensure his return to the United States should there eventually be an indictment in the case.

Speakman set a hearing for Dec. 8 to set a new bond amount and decide if Wiest can return home.

Share and discuss “Toomer’s fire suspect may be allowed to return to Germany ” on social media.