Rules residents have to follow in the campus dorms

There is one rule in Eagle Hall, according to Kaitlyn Conner, residents’ assistant for the building: don’t be stupid.

The second is to understand rule number one. Every dorm, apartment or house has guidelines that the resident must abide by. Some rules even vary between the different dorm halls at Auburn, while some are enforced campus-wide.

All violations have associated fines or mandatory consequences such as courses relating to the violation. One of the most regularly enforced rules is abiding by the policy of Auburn being a dry campus. This means no alcohol permitted anywhere on campus, including the dorm halls.

This rule also does not allow for students to have empty alcohol containers on campus.

Another campus-wide policy that still applies to the dorm halls is the prohibition on smoking and vaping. Smokeless tobacco products are allowed.

The Hill, Quad and Cambridge dorm halls, in which residents share a bedroom, allow for guests until midnight on weeknights, and until 2 a.m. on weekends.

RAs are given liberty to reprimand students for excessive noise. Instruments are allowed as long as they do not become disturbing to other residents.

The appliances that students are allowed to have vary between the kinds of dorms. No appliances are allowed for the dorms that share bedrooms, while the dorms with private bedrooms allow for some – crock pots, griddles, panini presses and toaster ovens.

Microwaves and mini-fridges are allowed in any of the dorms. However, microwaves and full refrigerators are provided in the Village and South Donohue.

Space heaters and fans are allowed in all dorms. These are useful for the residents in The Hill and The Quad as residents are not in control of the room temperature. For all dorm halls, candles with burnt wicks are prohibited. This applies regardless of where the wick was burnt.

Residents are allowed to hang posters or frames at their discretion. However, if the walls are damaged at all, the residents are subject to fees. Residents are not allowed to cover the majority of a wall though.

Residents are allowed nearly all types of furniture, but residents are not allowed to remove any existing furniture.

Pets are generally not allowed except for fish inside of a bowl of 20 gallons or less. Accommodations can be made for Seeing Eye dogs and emotional support animals.

Bikes are not allowed inside any dorms because they must be registered through the University, while skateboards or rollerblades are allowed. Conner said, fortunately, she has not been asked about a unicycle. Of course, RAs are in charge of keeping order in the dorm hall.

They are allowed to check rooms but are only allowed to search in plain sight. RAs are typically not forced to take action as long as the resident obeys rule number one.

For a complete guide to residential living, visit Auburn University’s housing website.

Share and discuss “Rules residents have to follow in the campus dorms” on social media.