Academic advisors encourage students to stay balanced this semester

<p>Langdon Hall on Friday, April 7, 2017 in Auburn, Ala.</p>

Langdon Hall on Friday, April 7, 2017 in Auburn, Ala.

The beginning of a new year means the beginning of a new semester on Auburn’s campus ­— a chance for students to start fresh. Though resolutions towards school and grades may be on everyone’s mind, it’s hard to know where to go first. A few academic advisors from various colleges on campus provided some advice to help get people on the right track. 

Amy Brock, the director of advising for the College of Agriculture, emphasized that each semester is a new semester, and that it’s important to focus on one at a time in order to ensure success. She provided several tips to help students along their journey. Brock also mentioned how something as simple as being kind towards fellow students can also assist in the formation of a successful semester. 

“Each of you are facing different obstacles. You never know when a kind word can completely change someone’s day,” Brock said. 

Other advisors gave different, but still effective, advice. Terrell Bean, an advisor in Lowder Business Building, highlighted the importance of staying on top of day-to-day activities. 

“I would advise students to be proactive in their planning in every aspect of their daily lives,” Bean said. “Time management is key.” 

Katy Crier, an advisor in Auburn’s College of Science and Mathematics, also emphasized the importance of keeping track of your schedule. 

“Become a planner,” Crier said. “It is hard to balance a full course load with on campus involvement and your social life, but it can become manageable if you schedule how you are going to schedule your time. Be in control of your schedule; don’t let it control you.”

In addition to talking to advisors, which is highly encouraged throughout all majors and concentrations, other sources, including SI sessions, Study Partners and other programs through the Office of Academic Support are available.

Share and discuss “Academic advisors encourage students to stay balanced this semester” on social media.