Four Auburn students, five recent graduates receive prestigious research fellowship

<p>Several Auburn students and recent graduates were recently named NSF fellows.</p>

Several Auburn students and recent graduates were recently named NSF fellows.

Several Auburn students and alumni were recently awarded a National Science Foundation Graduate Research Fellowship, adding to the 58 fellowships the University has already received. 

Five additional students were also named honorable mentions. 

The NSF Research Fellowship has supported students since 1952 who are in science, technology, engineering or mathematical fields and are pursuing a researched-based master’s or doctoral degree. Those who are named fellows benefit from a 3-year annual stipend of $34,000, and $12,000 goes toward tuition and fees.

According to Paul Harris, Auburn’s former associate director for the Office of National Prestigious Scholarships and current chair of the political science department, the number of students and alumni from Auburn being recognized for this award continues to go up each year. 

This year’s recipients are as follows:

• Katie Brown: A student at Rice University studying for a PhD in Bioengineering and Biomedical Engineering. She graduated from Auburn in 2017 with a Bachelor’s of Science in Polymer/Plastics Engineering. She is also a graduate research assistant at Rice.
  • MaryJane Campbell- A student at the University of Utah pursuing a doctorate in clinical psychology. She graduated from Auburn in 2015 with a Bachelor of Arts in psychology. She did undergraduate research while at Auburn, and has also spent time in Washington, D.C. as a clinical research assistant for the Children’s National Health System. 
  • Kyle David- A second-year graduate student at Auburn studying cellular and molecular biology. He has worked closely with professor Ken Halanych, publishing several research reports. 
  • Alexander Davis- A student at Auburn pursuing a doctorate in aerospace, aeronautical and astronautical engineering. He graduated from Samford University in 2017 with a Bachelors of Science in physics, where he also tutored and did undergraduate research. His research at Auburn focuses on molecular dynamics. 
  • Mina Narayanan- A student at Auburn studying software engineering and political science. Her undergraduate research has focused on artificial intelligence and identity research with the Department of Computer Science and Software Engineering. 
  • Jantzen Lee- A student at Vanderbilt pursuing a doctorate in mechanical engineering. He graduated from Auburn in 2017 with a Bachelor’s degree in mechanical engineering. During his time at Auburn, Lee spent a summer in Mississippi working for Chevron, tutored with the engineering department and worked with the Auburn University Formula Student Driverless.
  • Zachary Lee- A student at Cornell University working towards a PhD in mechanical engineering. Lee is a 2018 graduate of Auburn, receiving a Bachelor’s of Science in mechanical engineering. At Cornell, he is a graduate research and teaching assistant focusing on renewable residential heating and cooling. 
  • Matt Preisser- A student at The University of Texas at Austin, pursuing a dual doctorate in public affairs and environmental and water resource engineering.  He graduated from Auburn in 2018 with a degree in ecological engineering and was an undergraduate research fellow for almost his entire undergraduate career. His research currently focuses on combining engineering and policy in relation to water and natural resource conservation. 
  • Kevin Wyss- A senior at Auburn studying chemistry. He also conducts research under Anne Gorden, Associate Professor in the Department of Chemistry. In addition to the NSF, he was also received the Dean’s Research Award and the President’s Medal in 2019.  

The five students and alumni who received honorable mentions are as follows: 

• Haley Dutton
  • Gavin Shotts 
  • Sean Herrera 
  • Kevin Nixon 
  • Meghan Ward

Share and discuss “Four Auburn students, five recent graduates receive prestigious research fellowship ” on social media.