New engineering building holds dedication ceremony

The Brown-Kopel Engineering Student Achievement Center hosted a dedication ceremony for its donors on Friday, Sept. 13.

“We believe this is a milestone for our university,” said Christopher Roberts, dean of the Samuel Ginn college of engineering. “It is because of the generous donations of John and Rosemary Brown that we have this life-changing center come into fruition.”

Donors, faculty and many distinguished students of the college of engineering were present for the event. 

“The building provides a home for students to study either individually or in groups, because engineering is built around the concept of teamwork,” said Roberts. “It is to make sure they have the student support they need.”

Roberts mentioned how the building brought multiple new classrooms and laboratories for engineering students. 

“The faculty, including myself, saw the need for a more cohesive engineering community.” Roberts said. “I had a conversation with the Browns’ and they had the vision which started this project.”

John and Rosemary Brown gave a total of $57 million to Auburn University. $30 million of this donation went directly to the construction of the building.

Along with the support of 49 other donors, the Brown-Kopel Engineering Student Achievement Center was built. The project completed the third stage of the $85 million construction and renovating projects in the engineering sector of the campus. 

“The building will be for collaboration and active learning for future generations of Auburn students,” said Michael DeMaioribus, Auburn University Board of Trustees member.  

DeMaioribus described how he wanted the engineering school to become the nation’s leader in comprehensive and active learning, with this building acting as a point of conglomeration for engineering students.

“Based on a recent survey, the quality of the facilities is a reflection of the quality of the faculty and the value the University placed on those programs,” said Bill Hardgrave, Provost. “This building is a tremendous reflection of our engineering program and faculty.”

The facility has three floors. The first floor is made up of laboratory classrooms, study areas, a design studio, and a machine shop.

The second floor consists of multiple team rooms, offices, conference rooms, more study rooms, and a studio. The third floor holds classrooms and more study rooms.

The outside of the building has a garden and two pavilions. All of these spaces are named after donors of the facility.

“It is hard to walk into that building and not understand that we are here to serve our students,” said Roberts.

Roberts conveyed that the Brown-Kopel Engineering Student Achievement Center reflects Auburn’s goal to be one of the best student center engineering experiences in America.

“Where would Auburn be without the Browns,” said University President Jay Gogue. “War Eagle!”

Share and discuss “New engineering building holds dedication ceremony” on social media.