OPINION | Doug Jones fights for Alabama

I was glad to see that Sen. Doug Jones hosted an event in Auburn earlier this month. That’s the second time he’s been on campus in the past six months, and his visits make it clear that he’s dedicated to representing everyone in Alabama, especially students. 

As a lifelong Alabamian and current master’s candidate in Auburn University’s Aerospace Department, I want the best for my family, community and state. 

I want to know that my representatives in Washington are leaders who are more focused on doing what’s right than they are on their next election.

I’m proud that we have Jones in office, because he is using his platform to stand up for Alabamians and fight for our best interests.

Like many students, I had to face the confusing, daunting process of applying for student aid. 

I was excited to find out that Jones recently introduced legislation to simplify the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) form and make it easier for students to apply for federal aid. 

I know I would’ve appreciated this when I was applying for college.

He’s also working to expand Medicaid here in Alabama — which would benefit everyone including students, young adults, parents and their children.

He’s working to ensure that Alabama space projects continue to receive the funding they need.  

Our state has a long history of being on the cutting edge of scientific advancements in space travel. I’m excited to be part of its future, and that I can pursue my dream to put a person on Mars right here in Alabama. 

With Jones in office, I know that I can count on him to fight for what’s right for Alabamians. 

I’ll be glad to cast my vote for Jones in 2020. His work proves that he’s willing to work across the aisle and bring people together instead of tearing them apart. At a time of such heightened fear, division and uncertainty, we need people like him in Washington more than ever.

Jaysal Shah is a graduate research assistant in Auburn’s aerospace engineering department.

The opinions expressed in columns and letters represent the views and opinions of their individual authors. 

These opinions do not necessarily reflect the Auburn University student body, faculty, administration or Board of Trustees.

Share and discuss “OPINION | Doug Jones fights for Alabama” on social media.