Process to rename Mike Hubbard Boulevard set in motion

Mike Hubbard is a former Lee County statehouse representative.

Auburn City Council unanimously approved the process of renaming Mike Hubbard Boulevard during their Committee of the Whole meeting on Tuesday night. 

The process now moves to the Planning Commission, and the Council will vote on a name change at their May 19 meeting.

The Alabama Supreme Court upheld six ethics convictions against Hubbard on April 10. Hubbard was convicted of 12 felony ethics charges in 2016, being sentenced to four years in prison. In 2018, the Alabama Court of Appeals upheld 11 of the 12 original charges. 

Prosecutors say Hubbard steered over $2 million to his own businesses through the power of his elected position.

Mayor Ron Anders recommended the road be renamed to Bent Creek Road, which is the name of the road that turns into Mike Hubbard Boulevard. This would also benefit directions to the Auburn University Regional Airport, which is located adjacent to Mike Hubbard Boulevard, said Bill Hutto, director of the airport.

Former Alabama House Speaker Mike Hubbard also submitted a letter to the City asking that his name be removed from the street. Hubbard, 58, was Auburn's state house representative.

Ward 6 Council member Bob Parsons asked if the signs could be removed immediately, but City Manager Jim Buston said the signs must remain in place for public safety reasons.

Share and discuss “Process to rename Mike Hubbard Boulevard set in motion” on social media.