Legendary Auburn coach Pat Dye passes away at 80

<p>Pat Dye greets fans before Auburn Football vs Vanderbilt on Saturday, Nov. 5, 2016 in Auburn, Ala.</p>

Pat Dye greets fans before Auburn Football vs Vanderbilt on Saturday, Nov. 5, 2016 in Auburn, Ala.

Legendary Auburn coach Pat Dye has passed away at the age of 80. Dye was hospitalized with long-standing kidney issues last month, and while hospitalized, he tested positive for COVID-19. 

The news was first reported by 247Sports.

"On behalf of our family, I want to thank all of the people from around the country who have offered their support and admiration for Dad these past several days," Pat Dye Jr. said in a statement. "Dad would be honored and humbled to know about this overwhelming outreach. The world has lost a pretty good football coach and a great man. He was beloved, he touched so many lives and he will be missed by many, especially our family."

After coaching at Wyoming, Dye arrived at Auburn in 1981 and coached through the 1992 season. Dye also acted as athletic director from 1981-1991.

During his time at Auburn, Dye led the Tigers to SEC championships in 1983, 1987, 1988 and 1989. He became only the fourth coach in SEC history to win three straight SEC titles. He was named the SEC Coach of the Year in 1983, 1987 and 1988.

Even with all the championships, arguably Dye’s biggest accomplishment during his time at Auburn comes from bringing the Iron Bowl to Auburn after it was playing at Legion Field in Birmingham for 41 years.

The first Iron Bowl at Auburn came in 1989, a game Auburn would win 30-20.

In 2005, Auburn officially renamed the playing field at Jordan-Hare Stadium to Pat Dye Field.

His overall record while at Auburn was 99-39-4.

Dye was also inducted into the College Football Hall of Fame in 2005.

Before coaching at Auburn, Dye coached at Alabama, East Carolina and Wyoming.

Dye is survived by four children and nine grandchildren.

Share and discuss “Legendary Auburn coach Pat Dye passes away at 80” on social media.