Auburn details required COVID testing for fall 2020 students

<p>This illustration, created by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, reveals ultrastructural morphology exhibited by coronaviruses. The illness caused by this virus has been named coronavirus disease 2019, or COVID-19.</p>

This illustration, created by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, reveals ultrastructural morphology exhibited by coronaviruses. The illness caused by this virus has been named coronavirus disease 2019, or COVID-19.

Auburn University has outlined three accepted methods of COVID-19 testing for students returning to campus in the fall: by using a Stay Safe Together kit, on-site or privately.

A summary of the three methods was sent to students in an email on Wednesday. The University announced last week that students will be required to provide test results within 14 days of returning to campus as part of its A Healthier U plan.

"Our ability to test every student entering campus this fall will go a long way in helping maintain a safe environment for you this semester," said the University. "At Auburn, testing will supplement other safety strategies such as the use of face coverings and observing physical distancing, as well as daily symptom and exposure reporting."

Stay Safe Together testing kits, developed by the University of Alabama at Birmingham, will be available for free to all Auburn students. The program is federally funded by the Coronavirus Aid, Relief and Economic Security Act.

Those with Stay Safe Together kits may self-administer the test at home. The University said out-of-state students and early arrivals to campus will use this method.

"This test will require swabbing only just inside the nostril," the University said. "The sample will be returned in the enclosed pre-paid packaging."

Students participating in the Stay Safe Together program will receive a message in their University email from testing@staysafetogether.org providing instructions on how to sign up.

The second method, on-site, allows students to receive their results at one of 14 testing sites around Alabama with a similar test to the home kits.

"Pilot clinics will begin July 26 in limited locations, with additional locations opening the following week," the University said. "Students will not be able to choose between an at-home kit or on-site testing, but you will be directed to the best resource to get your test results to you before you come to campus."

The University will refer students in Alabama near on-site locations to receive their tests there. The email on at-home testing will also include sign-up information about on-site testing for students using this method, according to the University.

Lastly, the University said it will also accept privately conducted tests performed within 14 days of returning to campus. Those who opt for this method are asked to send their results to ahealthieru@auburn.edu via their University email address.

The University will not cover the costs of tests performed privately.

Students who test positive for COVID-19 will not be allowed to return to Auburn until receiving clearance from their healthcare provider.

"This will happen for some — even with no symptoms," the University said. "Those who test positive must follow the isolation and quarantine protocols of your state or location."

Student Affairs staff will be available to provide further instructions and information at 334-844-6000 or by email at ahealthieru@auburn.edu, according to the University.

Tim Nail | Campus Editor

Tim Nail, junior in journalism, is the campus editor for The Auburn Plainsman.

@timmnail

timnail@auburn.edu

Share and discuss “Auburn details required COVID testing for fall 2020 students” on social media.