Council approves naming meeting room after retired City Manager Jim Buston

<p>Auburn City Council meets every first and third Tuesday at 7:00 p.m.&nbsp;</p>

Auburn City Council meets every first and third Tuesday at 7:00 p.m. 

During Tuesday night's City Council meeting, the Council approved naming a meeting room within the Engineering Services Building after retired City Manager Jim Buston.

When discussing the naming, Ward 2 Council member Kelley Griswold objected to the notion of naming it after Buston. He stated that that there is a lack of policy in place for naming spaces after people.

Ward 1 Council member Connie Fitch-Taylor spoke up in agreement and expressed similar concerns about the lack of naming process. 

Ward 3 Council member Beth Witten stated that the motion brought before the Council and subsequent vote was the process through which they implement decisions of this sort. She also gave her support of the tribute to Buston.

“It makes sense that we would honor another city manager in a meeting space that would go forth with his legacy of wanting to train employees and also open it up to the citizenry to use for meetings that we may hold in the future,” Witten said. “So, I fully support it and I think it’s a great tribute to the legacy and tenure that Jim has left for the City of Auburn.”

Crouch explained that the goal of naming the new meeting room in Buston’s honor was to reflect who he was as a city manager. 

“Jim’s legacy, and one of his biggest legacies for the City is that he is about employees and education," Crouch said. "[He was] for our employees and advancing ourselves. This is to signal Jim’s contributions and things that were important to him."

Mayor Ron Anders acknowledged the concerns from Council members but expressed his support for the naming. 

“This is a single room," Anders said. "I understand the potential of having a conversation about some kind of policy, but we are debating that and deliberating that right now.”

Anders also expressed his appreciation for Buston's 25 years of service to Auburn, which ended on Jan. 31.

“Jim has put 25 years in this City and four as the city manager," Anders said. "I have no reservations about naming a room that will be utilized for training employees in the future the James Buston room. I am certainly willing to have conversation about this moving forward, but as for tonight, I believe this is a great honor for a man who gave us 25 good years with the City of Auburn.” 

The naming passed with a 7-2 vote. Griswold and Taylor opposed.

During his announcements, Anders said that the newly opened vaccination clinic just completed its second day of vaccine distribution. 

“We have made a great investment in order to make sure we can get as many of our citizens vaccinated as quick as possible,” Anders said. “I am just very proud of our whole community and the way we have responded.” 

“They are ramping up the number of vaccinations a day," Crouch said. "It is also very heartwarming to see how happy people are about getting a shot. I think it is giving them hope."

The council unanimously approved the authorization of an outdoor cafe permit for Mo’Bay Beignet Company on North College Street. 

During Citizen's Open Forum, residents expressed their opinions and concerns regarding short-term rental restrictions. Short-term rental restrictions were recommended to the Council by the Planning Commission and will be voted on at a future City Council meeting. 

Resident Susan Bolt asked for the Council to reconsider the restricting of any zones for short-term rentals.  

“Short-term rentals are the market solving a problem that is not been met," Bolt said. "Short-term rentals have been instrumental in doing just that. So, I hope that the Council will not exclude Nature Conservation zones on that.” 

Resident Josh Poole agreed with Bolt, giving his opinion regarding short-term rentals. 

“This is not hoteling someone’s neighborhood… It is their residence and they are taking pride in it," Poole said. "So, I think that [short term rentals] are less risk than long term rentals. I think it’s a fantastic opportunity for the City and for property owner,s and I fully support them in all zones.” 

Share and discuss “Council approves naming meeting room after retired City Manager Jim Buston” on social media.