Friendships strengthen during Galentine’s Day

<p>Galentine’s day is the day before Valentine’s Day, and it is aimed to celebrate friendship.</p>

Galentine’s day is the day before Valentine’s Day, and it is aimed to celebrate friendship.

Galentine’s Day — a day that has some of the same meaning behind it as Valentine’s Day, except this day is for the girls. 

Galentine’s Day is celebrated on Feb. 13. It is a day to celebrate the love women have for their female friends, whether they’re single or not. Women and small businesses around the Auburn area choose to celebrate Galentine’s Day in different ways.

Regan Catrett is a 2017 Louisiana Tech University graduate who majored in sociology and currently resides in Auburn working for Chi Alpha Campus Ministries. Catrett is originally from Slapout, Alabama, and moved to the Auburn area after she graduated college. 

“Every year I have a ton of girls come over to my house,” Catrett said. “We usually watch a mutually loved rom-com. There’s also usually pizza, chocolate, brownies and ice cream. Basically any junk food you can think of. Then, we do our nails and put on facemasks. There’s always laughter, and we all talk late into the night.”

Catrett and her friends have kept the tradition of celebrating Galentine’s Day alive for the past six years. Catrett said she really cherishes this time with her friends and loves to look back on past times as they are such sweet memories. 

“I think every girl has the freedom to do whatever they want on Galentine’s Day,” Catrett said. “That’s the beauty of it. There are no expectations.”

Catrett’s roommate, Bryony Talley, is a junior at Auburn majoring in studio art. Talley is also involved in Auburn Chi Alpha. Talley said she and her friends also enjoy road trips and that some of their favorite places to go include Montgomery and Columbus, Georgia.

“We go to a lot of places where we can either hike or go to novelty stores,” Talley said. “We like to cook together after church, and we have movie nights almost every week.” 

Talley said she likes the relaxed vibe of Galentine’s Day because there is no pressure and she can spend quality time with friends.

“It’s a great way to strengthen friendships with people that I don’t get to see on a regular basis,” Talley said.

As for businesses in the area, Fab’rik hosted their annual Galentine’s Party on Friday, Feb. 12 from 5-8 p.m. Anna Banks, assistant manager of Fab’rik Auburn, explained the shop offered a discount storewide. They also had tacos from Tacorita, sips and treats and music by DJ Q$. 

This was the third year Fab’rik hosted a Galentine’s Day event. In accordance with CDC guidelines, guests were required to wear a mask, social distance and have their temperature taken at the entrance.

“Our Galentine’s party offers a unique and personal shopping experience for our customers,” Banks said. “They can bring their girlfriends for a fun night out to celebrate and treat themselve[s].”

The Auburn-Opelika Moms celebrated their organization’s second year by hosting a Galentine’s themed night out presented by The Peaceful Porch Candle Company at Heritage House in Downtown Opelika on Feb. 6 from 6-9 p.m.

Taylor Whitson, social media coordinator and sales coordinator of Auburn-Opelika Moms, said the attendees had a dinner sponsored by Fratelli’s Ristorante Italiano, dessert from Gigi’s Cupcakes and beverages from the Dining Winos. 

In addition to dinner, the guests received a swag bag, heard live music from Matt & Hope music, were entered into giveaways throughout the evening and built their own bouquets through a hands-on workshop with Morgan Martin Inspired. 

“When attendees arrive at Heritage House, they will be immersed in an evening of fun, starting with a trip down the red carpet straight to our customized marquee letters for photo opportunities sponsored by Alpha-Lit Auburn,” Whitson said.

The Peaceful Porch Candle Company itself is a local small business that “offers 100% organic, vegan soy candles while using 25% of their profits to support families fighting cancer or other tragedies,” Whitson said. 

Whitson said they also partnered with Women’s Hope Medical Clinic in this event to support moms in the Auburn community.

Abigail Woods | Culture Editor

Abigail Woods, magazine journalism, is the culture editor at The Auburn Plainsman.

@abigailewoods

Share and discuss “Friendships strengthen during Galentine’s Day” on social media.