AU Alert: Police activity near Town Creek Park

<p>Police tape surrounds a crime scene.</p>

Police tape surrounds a crime scene.

UPDATE, 9: 21 a.m., June 7: Police were involved in two shootings with the suspect on Sunday night, returning fire and striking the suspect after being shot at the second time, according to a press release from Auburn Public Safety.

On Sunday, June 6, 2021, at approximately 8:15 p.m., the Auburn Police Division investigated a suspicious person at Town Creek Park. While speaking with the individual, officers were able to identify him as Justin Tearrius Lewis from Opelika. 

Lewis, 20, then began to flee on foot. While fleeing, Lewis produced a handgun and shot at officers. 

During a search of the area, APD and the Opelika Police Department, with assistance from the Lee County Sheriff’s Department and Alabama Law Enforcement Agency, attempted to locate Lewis. He was located at the entrance to Town Creek Park off East University Drive at approximately 11:30 p.m. Lewis shot at officers a second time, which prompted them to return fire striking him.

Personnel from the Auburn Department of Public Safety administered first aid and provided medical assistance to Lewis in an effort to stabilize him, before he was transported to Piedmont Hospital in Columbus, Georgia, where he is listed in stable condition.

OPD reported Lewis as a missing, endangered and possibly armed person on Saturday, June 5.

Police say further investigation of this incident is being conducted by ALEA and OPD. Criminal charges are pending.

UPDATE, 12:18 a.m., June 7: The suspect has been apprehended and there is no current public threat, but the police scene will remain active, per a second AU Alert sent by the University.

An AU alert was sent to all Auburn students and faculty Sunday night warning of police activity near Town Creek Park off South Gay Street and advised staying indoors and avoiding the area. The alert said there is an individual with a handgun in the area. 

The individual is a Black male in his late teens to early twenties, 5-foot-10 and skinny and wearing dark green jogger pants with stripes on the sleeves and a knitted hat, per a public safety alert.

The AU Alert was sent at 10:06 p.m. to all students and faculty at Auburn University. 

This article will be updated as more information is made available.

Evan Mealins | Editor-in-chief

Evan Mealins, senior in philosophy and economics, is the editor-in-chief of The Auburn Plainsman.

@EvanMealins

ecm0060@auburn.edu

Share and discuss “AU Alert: Police activity near Town Creek Park” on social media.