University honors Juneteenth with "freedom day"

<p>Samford Hall in Auburn, Ala.</p>

Samford Hall in Auburn, Ala.

President Joe Biden signed a bill yesterday recognizing Juneteenth as a federal holiday. The holiday commemorates June 19, 1865, when Union troops arrived in Galveston, Tex., to enforce the Emancipation Proclamation and Texas slaves learned that they had been made free.

Last night, the University sent out an email announcing a "freedom day," which will allow full- and part-time employees a day of leave, which they could use any day during the remainder of the 2021 calendar year.

"Auburn is choosing to offer a 'freedom day' to ensure that operations can continue tomorrow, and that eligible employees will have the opportunity to recognize this special day," the announcement said.

The University is open today and Camp War Eagle will continue as planned, with many incoming students and their families already in Auburn. Students will also take their classes as scheduled, though classes are canceled on June 28 instead.

Temporary employees are not eligible for the "freedom day." Employees must request and receive approval from their supervisor to use their day of leave.

Trice Brown | Multimedia Editor

Trice Brown, senior in english language arts education, is the multimedia editor of The Auburn Plainsman. 

@bytricebrown

trice@auburn.edu

Share and discuss “University honors Juneteenth with "freedom day"” on social media.