West Smiths Station Elementary moves online until Sept. 9

Via Unsplash
Via Unsplash

A local elementary school will be going online for over a week starting Tuesday, Lee County Schools announced on its website.

West Smiths Station is the latest school in the district to make the temporary transition to online learning during the pandemic, coming on the heels of Smiths Station High School and Beulah and Wacoochee elementary schools.

While students are home from Aug. 31-Sept. 9, staff that are not quarantined or COVID positive will still report to the school building, the announcement says. 

All co-curricular and extracurricular school activities are also canceled for the time period, resuming Sept. 10.

Lessons will be provided via online learning platform Google Classroom and students will be able to meet with their teacher via Zoom during scheduled online class sessions and daily office hours.

Lunch and breakfast are still available for students while they are out of the classroom and must be picked up in the car rider line loop between 11 a.m.-12 p.m. The student must be in the car to receive the meal, the announcement says. Zoom meetings will not be scheduled during the lunch hour.

Smiths Station High School moved to online classes on Aug. 25 and will continue online learning until Sept. 7. Beulah Elementary School and Wacoochee Elementary School both sent kids home from Aug. 23-27.

The Plainsman has reached out to Lee County Schools regarding the number of positive cases of COVID-19 at West Smiths Station Elementary and will update this story if more information is provided. 

Evan Mealins | Editor-in-chief

Evan Mealins, senior in philosophy and economics, is the editor-in-chief of The Auburn Plainsman.

@EvanMealins

ecm0060@auburn.edu

Share and discuss “West Smiths Station Elementary moves online until Sept. 9” on social media.