2023 top five Miss Homecoming candidates announced

Auburn University Miss Homecoming Top 5 Candidates (from left to right) Ellie Korotky, Kate Shackelford, Isabella Weyerman, Loren Lindsey, and Hannah Kelley.

As the sun set on the first day of classes on Aug. 16, the Auburn SGA announced the top five candidates for Miss Homecoming 2023 on Cater Lawn.

The candidates are:

· Isabella Weyerman, senior, double major in political science and vocal performance

· Hannah Kelley, senior, biomedical science with a concentration in pre-med

· Loren Lindsey, senior, law and justice

· Ellie Korotky, senior, nutrition dietetics

· Kate Shackelford, senior, hospitality with a concentration in event management

Each candidate raced up the stairs to a new wave of excited shouts before receiving a bouquet and taking their place on the balcony overlooking an enthusiastic audience.

Despite the rigors of rush week, LSAT preparations and preparing for their final first day of school, the candidates have prepared their platforms in anticipation of the upcoming election.

Weyerman, nominated by AU Singers, plans on helping students on the Plains prepare for their futures by getting "Wise with Weyerman." The platform promotes mentorship, personal development and professional experience to Auburn students.

Kelley, nominated by Omicron Delta Kappa, wants to help students get involved in the community through her platform, “Kinder with Kelley.” She wants to highlight Auburn’s outreach programs and encourage students to know about local volunteer organizations.

Lindsey, nominated by the Black Student Union, wants to address the current national housing crisis and its impact on low-income, international, out-of-state and homeless students through her platform called “Lean on Lindsey.”

Korotky, nominated by Alpha Omicron Pi, is advocating for and raising awareness of those born with Down syndrome with her platform, "Encourage with Ellie." She hopes to represent her cousin, who was born with Down syndrome, and the wider community well.

Shackleford, nominated by Chi Omega, wants Auburn to get "Stronger with Shack." Her platform seeks to refine campus safety through self-defense by improving the Auburn Police Department's Rape Aggression Defense class, which teaches women to defend themselves.

According to Liz Mitchim, the executive director of elections for the SGA, around 30 women were nominated last semester. Before heading into summer break, an appointed board of campus leaders selected 20 candidates, and after a full day of interviews today, they chose five to continue.

Callouts for Miss Homecoming aren't traditionally held on the first day of classes, but Auburn’s homecoming game against Samford on Sep. 16 required the SGA to adjust the election timeline. The adjustment caused heated debate in the senate last semester, but they reached an agreement before summer.

“A lot of compromise and getting perspectives from different people who have seen elections from different points of view was really helpful,” Mitchim said.

At the center of last semester’s debate was when each candidate could submit a Declaration of Intent form, a document required by the SGA code of laws for anyone interested in running for one of the five major positions.

For the president, vice president and treasurer, interviews happen seven days after they submit their forms, but for Miss Auburn and Miss Homecoming, the interviews happen before they submit their forms. One of the proposed dates last semester set conditions for a five-month campaign for the position, which included the four months of summer break.

“We decided to wait to call the top five until the fall in hopes that there would be no campaigning over the summer,” Mitchim said.

The approved timeline made for a tight turnaround this fall but allowed the candidates to enjoy their summer.

"Ending the school year being in the top 20, I was just so excited over the summer, and then I really put thought into it in the past week just to prepare for the interview," Korotky said.

All the candidates emphasized how grateful they were to have been selected for the position and are excited to begin campaigning.

The candidates can begin campaigning on Tuesday, Sept. 12, at 3:00 p.m., and Auburn will select their candidate on Friday, Sept. 15.

Ethan Flynn | Campus News Editor

Ethan Flynn, sophomore in journalism and finance, is the campus editor at The Auburn Plainsman. He has been with The Plainsman since Fall, 2022.

Share and discuss “2023 top five Miss Homecoming candidates announced” on social media.