Students recount their experiences being Auburn Student Recruiters

<p>Student recruiters in front of the Quad Center. From top row to bottom row, from left to right: Olivia Clement, Dalton Odom, Daniel Bobbit, Connor McCoy, Kai Jones, Asher Tatum, Elaine Shankute, Hope Johnson, Campbell Morgan and Alyssa Allen.&nbsp;</p>

Student recruiters in front of the Quad Center. From top row to bottom row, from left to right: Olivia Clement, Dalton Odom, Daniel Bobbit, Connor McCoy, Kai Jones, Asher Tatum, Elaine Shankute, Hope Johnson, Campbell Morgan and Alyssa Allen. 

Student recruiters of Auburn are devoted to showing students the great things about Auburn and its campus. They help assist the Office of admissions in recruiting future students. They are responsible for giving campus tours, hosting recruitment events and traveling to out-of-town recruitment events.

Campbell Morgan, Judd Hardin and Kaitlin Love share their experiences with being involved within the organization. 

Morgan, fifth-year majoring in apparel merchandising, first became a student recruiter in 2021 and talked about having the chance to attend receptions and host events as a student recruiter.

“Aside from giving campus tours, we have the chance to attend receptions held within the state of Alabama for prospective students,” Morgan said. “Throughout the academic year, the Office of Undergraduate Admissions will host TALONS Days, War Eagle Days and Admitted Student Days where we help facilitate various activities scheduled for that day.”

Hardin, senior majoring in political science, described student recruiters and talked about how it's important that student recruiters share their love for Auburn.

“Student Recruiters are the salespeople of Auburn for students and families. We are many peoples' first impression of Auburn," Hardin said. "The goal is that by sharing our genuine and sincere love for this place during our tours and events, the students who are meant to be here will catch a glimpse of what makes Auburn so special and have that urge to join the family.”

Hardin also mentioned that Auburn is a beautiful campus and the great educational experience helps make the college eye-catching. The recruiters take a lot of pride in how they go about their tours. They aim to give authentic and informative tours “with a healthy blend of enthusiasm and class.”

Love, sophomore double majoring in business management and marketing, talked about learning all the facts surrounding Auburn and its campus.

“The first year being a STUD (student recruiter), I started learning the facts throughout the summer because I wanted to be overprepared for the facts that we had. I probably spent an hour every day during the summer just looking over our information and going through my Quizlet about them,” Love said.

She went on to talk about how being a second-year STUD made it so much easier because she had already known most of the facts and just reviewed the things that changed, as well as the material she hadn’t already previously talked about.

Morgan emphasized that each student recruiter must take a knowledge test and what students have to do in order to be able to successfully lead a tour.

“All student recruiters are required to pass a knowledge test with a 90% or higher before leading a tour. Before we take the knowledge test, new student recruiters are required to shadow three tours during the Spring semester after callouts and two tours the first week of fall semester,” Morgan said.

Student recruiters from top to bottom rows from left to right: Hollis Layton, Lauren Thrasher, Elizabeth Eudaly, Mary Coker Green, Cimiya Cameron, Maddie Bentley, Campbell Morgan and Helen Talmadge. 

She continued by saying shadowing campus tours makes it easier to remember a lot of the information and facts while giving a tour.

Morgan stated how her favorite memory as a student recruiter was during her first year when she got to attend an in-state reception in Birmingham.

“We got to ride on Auburn’s private jet with Dr. Gaymon and Dr. Hardgrave and meet so many prospective students. The whole experience was so cool and a memory I’ll never forget,” Morgan said.

As student recruiters, they are required to have office hours during their designated time of giving tours. Love talked about how some of her favorite memories come from those moments. 

“Most of my favorite memories held through STUDs have been our office hours and just getting close to the people in the office hours, whether it's taking BuzzFeed quizzes or just laughing aimlessly all the time,” Love said.

Hardin’s favorite memory as a student recruiter is seeing students decide that Auburn is going to be the school for them.

“Owing so much to Auburn and the role it has played in my family for three generations, I find great gratification in seeing that story being in another person’s life," Hardin said. "On my tours, I preach, “If you love Auburn, Auburn will love you back.”

Being a student recruiter is an activity that these three students enjoy. If you want to learn more about student recruiters, you can visit https://auburn.campuslabs.com/engage/organization/studentrecruiters.

Share and discuss “Students recount their experiences being Auburn Student Recruiters” on social media.