The people and helpers behind Aubie

Aubie returning an autographed football to a young fan during the A Day scrimmage on April 6 2024.

Aubie the Tiger has long been the face of Auburn University. A mascot whose charm has won over the hearts of many and won his 11th Universal Cheerleaders Association national title this year, he has an impressive reputation to uphold. While a number of elements come together to create the character of Aubie, a big part of that is the helpers that work behind the scenes to make everything possible.

Madi McDougald, senior in film and media studies, shared her experience as Aubie’s director of creative design, as well as being a part of the Aubie Program for the past two years. 

With an official job title of the Directors of Aubie, the job comes with numerous responsibilities. One big task, McDougald said, is taking Aubie to all of his appearances, alongside the three other directors. 

“I was the lead for Aubie Calendar design and production this year, as well as the Aubie Claus event this past November. There are lots of tasks directors complete on a day-to-day basis to ensure Aubie is always ready for whatever he has next,” McDougald said.

One of the Directors of Aubie, Madison McDougald, giving Aubie a hug. Contributed by Elaina Eichorn.

There are four Directors of Aubie: director of scheduling, director of creative design, director of logistics and director of outreach.

When selecting Aubie directors, applications open and interviews are held every spring. Around this time, Friend of Aubie tryouts happen simultaneously. McDougald said she found out about the job her sophomore year through Instagram.

“I saw the ad on Aubie’s Instagram page and decided to apply. This is where Aubie advertises pretty much any event or fundraiser that he hosts,” McDougald said.

While always being on-the-go with the beloved mascot, some great memories are bound to be created. McDougald spoke about what makes working with Aubie so memorable for her.

“Aubie is just so much fun to be around, and getting to see the impact he has in the community with every appearance I take him to is always such a special experience,” McDougald said.

Amy Shugart, communications and marketing specialist for Student Involvement, gave insight into being a part of the advising team for Aubie. While she was also one of Aubie’s directors during her time spent as an undergraduate, her current role is different. She said her favorite part of being an advisor is working with students.

“My favorite part of being an advisor is working with the student leaders who are a part of the Aubie program. They are some of the hardest working students on campus,” Shugart said.

While she had the opportunity to work with Aubie in two different roles, Shugart said that she wouldn’t have done anything differently. She encouraged interested students to join the Aubie Family, noting that is was an incredible opportunity to serve the university.

McDougald at a football game. Contributed by Elaina Eichorn.

McDougald said while serving with the Aubie Family, she broke out of her comfort zone.

“Coming into the program, I was a bit of an introvert. So all of the social events and interactions that come with being a director were a bit daunting to me at first, but it has truly taught me so much and helped me grow in more ways than that,” McDougald said. 

McDougald encouraged students who are interested in the Aubie Family to visit the Aubie Committee on Tuesdays before a home football game or speak to a director. She said that while the job had a large time commitment, it was worth it because she helped Aubie spread so much joy.

The chaotic energy of game days can come with its share of mixed emotions, and Shugart shared a challenging aspect of her job. 

“The hardest part of being a director is having to cut off a line for pictures. You want everyone to have one, but Aubie stays on a strict schedule,” Shugart said.

Luckily, Shugart says the easiest part is spending time with Aubie.

“The easiest part is hanging out with Aubie. He’s the best and always makes me smile,” Shugart said.

When discussing what separates Aubie from the other mascots, Shugart revealed her thoughts. 

“His lovable character and natural ability to connect with all ages, no matter their stage of life, while instantly bringing a smile to the faces of both friend and foe sets him apart from other mascots,” Shugart said.

If given the chance to do it all over again, McDougald said not much would be done differently.

“I would do it all again in a heartbeat. While it’s not an easy job, the people you get to surround yourself with, the experiences you gain and skills you learn are all more than worth it,” McDougald said.

In the UCA Nationals competition, all of Aubie’s directors and friends had a part to play in the preparation. McDougald had a heartfelt explanation of the whole process.

“This starts with the video submission that is made up of all the footage directors take of Aubie while he’s at his appearances throughout the year. Then, there comes a long process of brainstorming skit ideas, building props and practicing. This culminates with all of us getting to go see Aubie perform at the competition in Florida,” McDougald said.

Auburn University gave the announcement about unveiling a bronze Aubie statue shortly after his 11th win at the UCA National Championship.

Sharing what Aubie means to her as it relates to the Auburn Family, McDougald explained what she believes sets him apart from all other mascots.

“Aubie is not just a tiger. He is an embodiment of the Auburn spirit and love of the Auburn Family. One thing we as a program pride ourselves on is just how accessible Aubie is as a mascot,” McDougald said. “Anyone can request Aubie for an event, as long as it is a public event. If it fits into Aubie’s schedule, you’ll see him there. Aubie is here for the community, and that is extremely important to all of us that help him out.”

Share and discuss “The people and helpers behind Aubie” on social media.