Auburn Ranks Fourth in SEC National Merit Scholarship Report

The Plains have gotten brighter in 2009 as Auburn has nearly doubled its enrollment of National Merit Scholars.

Auburn now has 64 National Merit Scholars enrolled, which ranks fourth in the Southeastern Conference and 34th nationally, according to a new National Merit Scholarship Annual Report. Auburn had 31 National Merit Scholars enrolled in 2008.

"Our goal is not necessarily to increase the number of National Merit Scholars, but to be competitive in our recruitment of these students, particularly those who are from Alabama," said Director of University Scholarships Velda Rooker. "Offering a comparable scholarship to students as highly recruited as these students are enables us to level the playing the field with our competitors. This allows students to select Auburn on its merit and what it can provide the student now and in the future."

According to the National Merit Scholar Corporation's Web site, applications start in high school. Potential scholars must take the Preliminary SAT/National Merit Scholarship Qualifying Test, be enrolled as a high school student and be a United States citizen.

The entries are then winnowed down to semi-finalists, finalists and, finally, winners.

Auburn offers full tuition for four years and a four-year housing allowance -- an addition to the scholarship added this year -- to National Merit Finalists, National Achievement Finalists and National Hispanic Scholars, according to the official Auburn University Web site.

"In an effort to increase the number of National Merit Scholars, the scholarship offered to these students was expanded to include an on-campus housing allowance for four years," Rooker said.

Dean of Enrollment Services Wayne Alderman doesn't believe Auburn is through improving its academics.

"We are proud of our enrollment of National Merit Scholars and believe it reflects the academic quality of our entire student body," Alderman said. "We, of course, are always seeking highly qualified students and believe that our number of National Merit Scholars will continue to increase."

Share and discuss “Auburn Ranks Fourth in SEC National Merit Scholarship Report” on social media.