UPDATED: Desmonte Leonard sentenced to life without parole

false

Desmonte Leonard appears at his Jan. 20 sentencing. (Todd Van Emst | Opelika-Auburn News)

Desmonte Leonard will spend the rest of his life in prison after Lee County Judge Jacob A. Walker sentenced him to life without parole Tuesday, Jan. 20.
Leonard was found guilty of capital murder in the 2012 shooting deaths of Ed Christian, Ladarious Phillips and Demario Pitts on Oct. 7, 2014. The jury recommended life in prison.
Walker said he has overrode jury's recommendations in the past because there were circumstances jurors didn't know about.
"In this case, I don't believe there was anything submitted to me that was not submitted to the jury," Walker said.
Before the sentence was given out, Leonard addressed the court.
"I just want to say that I apologize from the bottom of my heart for the people who were killed," Leonard said, "and to those who lost love ones, and even to those who were injured."
Walker also sentenced Leonard to life in prison for the attempted murder of DeAngleo Benton and Turquorius Vines.
Leonard also received 10 years for the second-degree assault of Xavier Moss and Eric Mack and 20 years for the first-degree assault of John Robertson.
Two family members of victims addressed the court.
Barbara Pitts, Demario Pitts' grandmother, was called to the stand first.
"The only thing I want to say today is Demario has two kid too that he'll never get to see again," Barbara said.
Carlton Christian, Ed Christian's cousin, said his cousin was like a brother to him.
"Because of one person's actions, I will never get to tell him happy birthday again," Carlton said.
Susan James, Leonard's defense attorney, said they were thankful and relieved Walker did not overrule the jury.
"Emotionally, you know, you're just drained at this point because of the anticipation of what could happen," James said. "While life without parole is obviously a very serious matter, at least his life has been spared."
James said the next step for the defense is to file a motion for a new trial, and, if that is denied, they will appeal the case.
Lee County District Attorney Robbie Treese said Walker followed the law exactly as he was supposed to.
"The other sentences as well, which everyone tends to forget, are also significant," Treese said. "As all of us, I would've much prefer this [crime] never had happened, that the judge never be put in the position of having to make these choices."
Treese said the victims' families handled the case with honor and grace.
"It's never easy for anybody involved in this kind of circumstance," Treese said. "I'm proud to have known them. I'm just sad under the circumstances that I had to get to know them."

Share and discuss “UPDATED: Desmonte Leonard sentenced to life without parole” on social media.