UPDATE: Alabama Supreme Court Chief Justice Roy Moore issues statement clarifying earlier order

Lee County is issuing marriage licenses to same-sex couples, according to the Lee County Probate Office.

Before making the decision, Lee County Probate Judge Bill English sought the advice of Attorney Kendrick Webb.

English said he needed his lawyer to give him the best advice on how to proceed.

"We get hit with [the ruling] on Friday, I'm not going to knee-jerk and act without understanding and reading it," English said. "And my attorney asked for some time to read it, which I think is a reasonable request."

Lee County is under a federal court order from Mobile to issue same-sex marriage licenses.

The federal court issued an injunction Monday, Feb. 9, ordering the state not to comply with Alabama law, which states same-sex marriage is illegal.

"We are currently under two different court orders," English said. "I've read the Supreme Court ruling, but I need my lawyer to tell me how it interacts with the two cases."

The Alabama Supreme Court issued an order to halt same-sex marriages Tuesday, March 3.

The United States Supreme Court's case legalizing same-sex marriage involved the Sixth Circuit courts, which is over four states: Kentucky, Tennessee, Ohio and Michigan.

"I will comply with the Supreme Court's ruling, but I need to make sure that how I comply doesn't violate one order or the other," English said.

English said he will uphold his duties, no matter what his opinion is.

"We're going to comply with the law," English said. "My oath of office is to uphold the Constitution, not just what I agree with or disagree with."

Alabama Supreme Court Chief Justice Roy Moore issued a statement in which he clarified his earlier order, which apparently prevented probate judges from issuing marriage licenses to same-sex couples. His order states that people involved in the U.S. Supreme Court case have 25 days to file for a rehearing, and invites people involved with Alabama's same-sex marriage case to submit motions about the effect of the Supreme Court's decision. The order extends the invitation to file motions or briefs until July 6. 

"In no way does the order instruct probate judges of this State as to whether or not they should comply with the U.S. Supreme Court's ruling," Moore said in the statement.

Share and discuss “UPDATE: Alabama Supreme Court Chief Justice Roy Moore issues statement clarifying earlier order” on social media.